[UPDATE 8 a.m.] Redwood Valley North of Ukiah on Fire: Evacuations, Multiple Structures Burned, Serious Injuries
According to the Mendocino Voice, “The fire in Redwood Valley has spread to 4500 acres, and is 0% contained, according to Cal Fire spokesperson Tricia Austin at 5:30am. A separate fire in Potter Valley stands at 1500 acres and is also 0% contained — this fire is responsible for the destruction of 11 structures so far.” For much more information, click here.
Below are photos and video of the fire by Michael Godinez. Most of these are along Road J of the Redwood Valley area. [Below the images is evacuation information.]
UPDATE 6:08 a.m.: Here is the power outage map in the area from PG&E.
Evacuation Information and other Important Facts:
- Anyone evacuating with animals can take them to the Ukiah Fairgrounds
- The Mendocino Sheriff’s Department tweeted that shelters are open for fire evacuees. Those south of fire go to Ukiah High School. Those north of the fire go to Willits Community Center.
- As of 4:32 a.m., The Mendocino Sheriff’s Department just posted on Facebook, “Highway 101 is closed from Uva Drive North to Ridgewood Grade. All Redwood Valley south of School Way Circle to Highway 20 and east to Horshoe Circle is under EVACUATION WARNING. An evacuation warning means you need to be ready to move out at a moment’s notice – prepare animals, important papers, medicines & other necessities.”
- Mendocino Sheriff states, “Call center for fire information is now open. Do not call 9-1-1 unless you have an emergency.Fire information numbers:(707) 467-6428
- Potter Valley School is closed on the 9th.
- According to the CHP, Hwy 101 between Uva Drive and the Willits Bypass is closed.
UPDATE 6:12 a.m.: Ukiah School District is closed. Willits schools are closed today.
UPDATE 6:32 a.m.: According to the scanner, one person was confirmed dead in the fire that swept through West Road.
UPDATE 7 a.m.: Potter Fire: 1500 Acres, 11 Structures Confirmed Destroyed
UPDATE 8 a.m.: CHP reports that these are the current places with road closures.
-US 101 northbound at Uva St. diverting traffic to southbound North State Street in Ukiah.
-US 101 southbound at SR-20 westbound diverting traffic into Willits.
-US 101 southbound turning traffic around just south of the Willits Scale Facility
-Hard Closure West Road at State St
-Hard Closure East Road north of Command Post at Redwood Valley Fire Station
-Soft Closure Tomki Rd. At Canyon
Major Fire Incident Stories From Oct 9:
- Hwy 20 Closed Due to Fire
- Major Fire in Mendocino Joins Others Whipping Across Northern California; 101 Closing
- Major Fires Breaking Out in Northern California: Structures and Vehicles Burning, Evacuations Ongoing, Victims Injured, Roads Closed
NOTE: An earlier version of this story stated that State Route 20 is closed. That is incorrect. Sulfer Banks Road was closed at 20 but 20 is open.