[UPDATE 6:19 p.m.] Zach Harrison, Murder Suspect, Jumped in Eel River; Helicopter and Plane Brought in to Search
“He is either naked or wearing shorts and a tank top,” explained Lt. Mike Fridley as numerous law enforcement officers search the river area near the small town for Harrison who was first spotted in Miranda yesterday afternoon.
According to Fridley, Harrison was seen running down 6th Street this afternoon and is believed to have jumped into the Eel River. “We saw something bobbing down the river,” Fridley said. “We couldn’t confirm it was him.”
The river is dangerously high now. The Lieutenant pointed out, “It’s bank to bank and brown.”
Fridley wants people in the area to be on the lookout for the suspect. “He’s tired and he’s probably hurt,” he said. He will likely be cold as he is wet and temperatures are expected to drop into the high 30’s tonight.
According to the scanner, a helicopter and a search plane are in the area searching for the suspect.
UPDATE 3:48 p.m.: The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Department tweeted, “# happening in Alderpoint area as deputies search for homicide suspect Zachary Harrison. CHP helicopter is assisting. Harrison is believed to be possibly naked, or wearing shorts and a tank top, and may have jumped into the Eel River. He is possibly injured.”
UPDATE 3:54 p.m.: Residents report seeing two aircraft searching.UPDATE 4:26 p.m.: The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Department posted on Facebook, ” A reverse-911 has been issued to residents in the Alderpoint area, asking residents to remain inside with doors secured…Jet skis are being deployed to search the river. Alderpoint/Southern Humboldt residents, if you see Harrison, call 911 immediately.
UPDATE 5:27 p.m: According to Sgt. Jesse Taylor of the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Department, the air search has concluded. “We are trying to get a boat in the water at Fort Seward,” he said.
UPDATE 6:15 p.m.: Scanner traffic indicates and a resident are reporting that the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Department has located Harrison and are chasing him. A boat is being launched.
UPDATE 6:19 p.m.: “A K-9 is en route from Fortuna,” according to a dispatcher over the scanner.
- Humboldt County Sheriff’s Deputies Search for Murder Suspect
- Victim Named in This Weekend’s Alderpoint Homicide
- Helicopter and K-9 With Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office in Alderpoint Looking for Homicide Suspect
- Robert Holtsclaw: In Memoriam of This Weekend’s Shooting Victim
- Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office Once Again Scoured the Area Near Alderpoint Looking for the Suspect in Last Weekend’s Fatal Shooting
- SoHum Man Sought in Shooting Death Believed to Be Armed and Dangerous
- A Reminder: Humboldt County Sheriff’s Department Still Seeking Suspect in Alderpoint Homicide
- After Being Spotted in Miranda, Murder Suspect, Zach Harrison Fled Into the Brush off Elk Creek Road; Residents Warned With Reverse 911