[UPDATE 7:22 p.m.] Roads: Snow Is Falling on Mountain Passes
We will do our best to keep the information on the roads updated in the section below. If you must travel, check your routes and carry chains if needed.
UPDATES from 6 p.m. on are in green.
Major Highways–Here’s What We Know:
Please keep in mind this is the weekend and it is difficult to get accurate information. If you are traveling and could take a photo of conditions and send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, that would help other people make decisions about whether they should travel or not.
- Hwy 1: Open but snowy
- Hwy 3: No reports yet of snow.
- Hwy 20: Open
- Hwy 36: Chains required from Van Duzen Road to east of Knob. (See Quickmap for more information)
- Hwy 96: Open
- Hwy 101: Open but wintery in places.
- HWY 162: Open
- Hwy 169: Open
- Hwy 199: Open. (See Caltrans Traffic Cam)
- Hwy 211: Open (Check out the Fernbridge live cam)
- Hwy 254 (Avenue of the Giants): Open
- Hwy 255: Open
- Hwy 271: Open
- Hwy 299: Snowy in Mountain passes but the road is mostly clear. See traffic cam for the latest. (See Quickmap for more information)
Humboldt County Roads:
Here is what we know so far:
- Alderpoint–report from resident that the “switchbacks …around 3 1/2 miles up are becoming impassable without 4×4”
- Bald Hills Rd- 6” new snow, currently snowing. Road clear, 2wd-chains mandatory, 4wd carry chains (This is from yesterday. Presumably it is only worse now.)
- Berta Road–flooded again!