Grandfather Headed From Arizona to Washington State Disappears; Bullet Riddled Car Found in Zenia Area
His worried family explained, “He was expected to arrive in the Seattle area no later than early evening of Wednesday, Nov. 15 to stay with his daughter on Vashon Island, WA before the wedding.” His family spoke to him on Monday, November 13 about 6 a.m. in the Sacramento area. He spoke to his daughter about 4 p.m. and said he was “on the 101.”
A rancher later said he saw Olsen’s red Camry on Zenia Lake Mt. Road on Monday, the 13th.
On Wednesday, his family reported him missing.
Olsen’s bullet riddled red 2011 Toyota Camry was located by law enforcement Saturday in the Zenia area of Trinity County at mile marker 18.5 on Zenia Lake Mountain Road. According to his family, “All of his belongings including his wallet, cell phone, cell phone charger, car keys and bags were found inside the vehicle.”
The family states, “The car battery was dead. The car was full of bullet holes but no blood or other signs of foul play – more as if someone had been using it for target practice.” Shooting abandoned vehicles is a common practice in the hills of western Trinity and eastern Humboldt.
The family are very worried and have arrived in Humboldt County to look for him and put up flyers. They report, “On Monday, Nov. 20, a search team for the Trinity County Sheriff’s Department searched the area [where the car was located] from dawn to dusk but didn’t find any sign of him…He is unsteady on his feet, and has several other medical issues, and couldn’t have walked very far from his car.”
According to a flyer they provided from the Yuma County Sheriff’s Office,
Mr. Olsen is described as white male, 5’11” tall, approximately 218 pounds, with grey hair and blue eyes. Mr. Olsen was driving a red 2011 Toyota Camry with an Arizona license plate number WCKCZ16 .
The family said, “We didn’t want him to drive but he is stubborn. The sheriffs department is attempting to get a search warrant for his phone in hopes of tracing its location over the past few days.”
If you have any information regarding the whereabouts of Mr. Olsen please contact either the Yuma County Sheriff’s office at 926-783-4427 or the Trinity County Sheriff’s Office at (530) 623-2611.
Below is a Timeline of Events provided by the family:
- Sunday, Nov. 12
or Monday, Nov. 13: He left his home in Yuma, AZ very early to drive to the Seattle area
- Monday, Nov. 13: He spoke to his daughter, Kim, twice. At 6:30 a.m. he said he was near Sacramento at approximately 4:30 p.m. he said he was “on the 101” but no precise location provided. *
- Monday, Nov. 13: His car was spotted parked on Zenia Lake Mountain Road but not reported.
- Wednesday, Nov. 15: His family reported him missing after he failed to arrive and we had been unable to reach him since Monday afternoon. His cell phone had been going straight to voicemail the evening of Nov. 15, the Yuma County Sheriff’s Department put out a “Missing Person Bulletin” to all law enforcement agencies.
- Thursday, Nov. 16: The Yuma County Sheriff’s Department issued a news release and posted it on its Facebook page.
- Saturday, Nov. 18: His vehicle was towed from its location on Zenia Mountain Lake Road, which resulted in a match with the Missing Person Bulletin. This is the same day [as] the wedding of his granddaughter.
- Sunday, Nov. 19 – His family learn to the location of his car and efforts began to mount a search team.
- Monday, Nov. 20 – Trinity County sheriffs searchers scoured the area where are his car was found but no sign of him. Please help us get the word out. Contacts: Lieut. Chris Compton, Trinity County sheriffs department, 530-623-2611 Deputy Duarte, Yuma County Sheriff’s department, 928-783-4427 Thank you, Kris Olsen Daughter Seattle, WA