85-Year-Old Rancher Killed By Unknown Person in Bell Springs Area: Findings From Autopsy and Investigation Reveal Shooting Was Homicide, Says Sheriff’s Department

Homicide Investigation Feature IconAccording to Humboldt County Sheriff’s spokesperson Samantha Karges, the shooting death of 85-Year-Old Richard Drewry in the area of Bell Springs Road was a homicide. “Based upon autopsy findings and a thorough evaluation of the scene, the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division has determined Mr. Drewry’s manner of death to be homicide,” she told us via email.

“We understand the community’s safety concerns and while we can never guarantee someone is 100% safe at any given time, we can confirm that no other random acts of violence have been reported as occurring in the Bell Springs area around Mr. Drewry’s time of death,” Karges stated. ” That being said, we have not yet identified a suspect and are actively working on this case, following up on all leads.”

The Sheriff’s Department is asking for the public’s assistance in this case. Karges wrote, “We continue to ask for the community’s help to share any information they may have regarding Mr. Drewry’s whereabouts prior to his death or any other information that may be of assistance in the investigation. Anyone with information about this case can contact our office at 707-445-7251 or the Sheriff’s Office Crime Tip Line at 707-268-2539.”

UPDATE: Today, Mendocino County Sheriff Detectives Are Assisting Humboldt County Law Enforcement Investigating Bell Springs Homicide

Earlier:

Timing is everything
Timing is everything
11 months ago

About a week late.memories fade.why did this take so long?

Doggo
Doggo
11 months ago

You expected an autopsy to be done instantly? CSI Humboldt?

Just Sayin
Just Sayin
11 months ago

Man, you people really need to try reality every once in a while. Life is not a TV show!

Do ur jobs
Do ur jobs
11 months ago

So from the word on the hill a dog got shot chasing that man’s cows, days prior to this man getting shot but then also the man who’s dog got shot had a water issue with the old man that got shot, so Drewry had no enemy’s besides a man that his dog got shot and his water rights tooken, so come on people do your home work you know who did it ?!?!?

Local
Local
Reply to  Do ur jobs

So Drewry shot the man’s dog or the man shot Drewry’s dog?

Hopetheynailthedude
Hopetheynailthedude
Reply to  Do ur jobs

Should maybe put in some tips with the sheriff man. That sounds like possible motivation to me. I’ve heard a few people’s anger get very serious about water rights.

Bill
Bill
Reply to  Do ur jobs

Do ur jobs.. you need to contact the Sheriffs office and get the information to them. Please reach out to them and lets get this criminal in jail.

Ramblings
Ramblings
Reply to  Do ur jobs

Excuse me, considered you are completely wrong and slandering someone who has just lost a companion? What is the purpose of publicly discussing your point when you could “do your job” and express your concerns to the appropriate people? Not to be harsh, but seems reasonable. Especially given the ridiculous message stream that has developed as a result, devoid of any relativity to the passing of Mr. Drewry Senior.. Peace be with you

Trashman
Trashman
11 months ago

Dogs off leash on private property can and should be killed.

Captain Crunch
Captain Crunch
Reply to  Trashman

Strong agree.

Seamus
Seamus
Reply to  Trashman

My neighbors dachshund comes crawling through the berry vines once or twice a year, I always hear his owners tiny little voice calling out for Peabody. I wouldn’t dream of shooting that little girl’s dog.

JoBop
JoBop
Reply to  Kym Kemp

was your heart with the pitbull who attacked a poor women in Myers Flat?
These animals are out of control!

spacecraft
spacecraft
Reply to  Kym Kemp

you are a treasure.

Reply to  Kym Kemp

Unless your child was there to watch her favorite pet chicken being ripped apart. It’s good to be less automatically stereotyping. A little less picturing of dogs as Disneyland fluffy pets and a little more remembering they almost all come from hunters of one kind or another would be better for all involved. Mostly for the dogs themselves.

OrleansNative
OrleansNative
Reply to  Seamus

Peabody as in Mr. Peabody the time traveling dog from Rocky and his Friends and his way back machine? Only the best cartoon show ever ! Great name for a pooch.

Prometheus
Prometheus
Reply to  Seamus

I couldn’t do it either… They are someone’s pet… Warning your neighbor about their dog is usually effective…

Reply to  Prometheus

Never found that to work at all. Well, once to my great surprise when a neighbor came over to apologize for one of the contractors’ dog threatening my animals. Even a person who owns a pit bull can get their nose out of joint quite fast when it suggested that the dog they have to protect them from other humans might actually use those teeth to kill someone else’s pet.

Sprout
Sprout
Reply to  Seamus

The difference comes in where the dogs on ranches often damage the livestock for fun. Coyotes do the same thing but they do it for food and limit it to a single animal for the most part. When domesticated dogs do it it’s more like a game and they will attack multiple animals. They bite at the rear of the hooves and damage the tendons there, resulting in livestock being hobbled have no market value. The law used to be, and I don’t believe that it has changed, that the dogs owner was responsible not only for the market value of the animal but also the value of what that particular animal could have produced over it’s lifetime, including breeding of future animals. My experience goes back to the old sheep days in So Humboldt and I have personally seen two dogs maim or destroy 25 animals in a single night. Now it’s mostly cattle so the body count can be lower but the value is much higher. A neighbor’s dachshund coming into your yard is a bit different. I did however see one chasing sheep along with a Shepard, but again with not much success.

Jersey
Jersey
Reply to  Trashman

[edit]

I like stars
I like stars
Reply to  Jersey

Keep your dog(s) at your own place.

Grrr
Grrr
Reply to  Jersey

Kym why do you allow someone to use racial terms in here like white trash. Not cool.

Trashman
Trashman
Reply to  Trashman

Rest in peace old timer,a lot of wisdom lost

Thebigdeal
Thebigdeal
Reply to  Trashman

Calling him a “old timer” in this situation makes you a ass! This man was one hell of a man and he was murdered by a coward with no soul. Your condescending tone makes you come off as a arrogant person. Like you are talking down on him. If you can’t be “truthfully “ respectful then keep your mouth shut!

Trashman
Trashman
Reply to  Thebigdeal

Around Laytonville oldtimer is a compliment.

Lost Croat Outburst
Lost Croat Outburst
Reply to  Kym Kemp

“old timer” has always had a connotation of respect and affection to me, especially now that I am one. Better than “old man/woman.”

Cheryl
Cheryl
Reply to  Trashman

“Ol Timer” is a compliment to most. I think. I think thebigdeal needs to shut their mouth. Comments are so confrontational. This is a sad conversation. I don’t live near this area, so I don’t know the ‘neighbor’, but I do know that there’s sure been more and more crime and bad manners escalating world wide. SAD 😭

Reply to  Cheryl

Due to a pandemic of EO- Excessive Outrage. BTW is that a picture of a Valais Blacknose lamb? Any one around here raise them?

TJay
TJay
Reply to  Trashman

I know for a fact you can shoot an kill dogs on private property if you are protecting live stock or the lives of pets/people on your property. However outside of that i am not sure. Its likely to be considered animal cruelty at that point.

Ranchers Rights laws and and protection of livestock have been established for close to centuries. Not only that but the owner of the dog is also still liable for damages to livestock.

No rancher/farmer wants to kill someone’s pet or even a stray. But when it effects the lives of their livestock. Often there is little option at that point, if the guns come out. You also will not win if the livestock officer comes out, and likely faces additional legal problems besides having to bury your pet.

Reply to  TJay

No, that last parapgraph is so true. Having run out once to protect my livestock from a dog attack only to see them turn on me when I had no weapon, I would certainly not repeat that error. Animal control was totally not interested in dead livestock. The part that got my attention was when later the owner of the dogs told me that animal control said they couldn’t blow me off because my dead animals were pets and not just livestock. As if livestock suffers less from being mauled if they are not someone’s pets.

Dog's best friend
Dog's best friend
Reply to  Trashman

You sure about that?

Matthew Meyer
Matthew Meyer
Reply to  Trashman

That’s bad legal advice. If a dog is merely trespassing, you may be liable for killing it.

Also, it makes you a large anal orifice to kill a dog whose only crime is being on your (perhaps unfenced) property.

I like stars
I like stars
Reply to  Matthew Meyer

Do you own livestock?

The a-hole isn’t the rancher who must protect livestock. The a-hole is the dog owner who lets the dogs go hunt other people’s property.

Reply to  Matthew Meyer

True but the usual scenario is livestock runs from the dog and the dog chases. That is “worrying” livestock and the dog is subject to getting shot. So unless your dog shows no interest in chasing squirels or cats or other dogs, you should assume your dog will give in to the instinct to chase quite readily.

thebigdeal
thebigdeal
11 months ago

All pit bulls and mean dogs should be shot on the spot and the owner should have to pay for the bullet!

Cheryl
Cheryl
Reply to  thebigdeal

Now that’s an ignorant remark! Not all pits are animal aggressive..!!

Reply to  Cheryl

No but after a few incidents, I can understand why someone would think so.

Dave Sky
Dave Sky
11 months ago

Sad. Very sad indeed. Heart goes out to the victims family.

Cattle Great!🪦🤠🐄💨
Cattle Great!🪦🤠🐄💨
11 months ago

In the name of the father the son and the holy cow, amen!. R.I.P.
EAT MORE BEEF🛻🌄 🥩 🌱🐂

commenter
commenter
11 months ago

Damn, I interviewed Mr Drewry for a story last year, nice man, very helpful.

Z
Z
Reply to  commenter

Please give us a link to yr story about Mr. Drewry. It would be nice to know more about him. Thnx!

Joe
Joe
Reply to  Z

👍👍👍

Buzz
Buzz
Reply to  commenter

Would love to see that

Jessica Taaning Sanchez
Jessica Taaning Sanchez
Reply to  commenter

Any possibility of sending me a transcript of your interview? I have so many questions to ask him. Always thought there was time left to do it. I would so greatly appreciate it thank you he was my grandmother’s favorite little cousin they were first cousins and raised on that ranch. I am so saddened by this tragedy.

Tyler Henry
Tyler Henry
11 months ago

Such a shame, please refrain from being completely moronic with your comments, and just try to show some compassion and sympathy.

A lady "Old timer"
A lady "Old timer"
11 months ago

First of all….R.I.P. “Old Timer”. (meant respectfully). Prayers for the family.
Secondly….I cry when i hear someone elses animal dies. Even if I’ve never laid eyes on it. And if someones animal is threatening my family or animals on my property…. It’s Dead!!
Thirdly….I don’t care if it’s a dachound or a greyhound. If it a danger….bye bye.
Fourth….Whoever killed the old timer is a f&#ked up low life COWARD!!

lou
lou
11 months ago

It is awful that people have to come on her saying mean things! But sadly there are so may awful people out there that it really isn’t surprising.
He was my second cousin and our family is very sad. If you cannot be respectful then do not comment.

THC
THC
11 months ago

I don’t think most people understand the damage a dog can do to livestock. Even just one dog can kill a dozen cows in a half hour. They don’t usually even try to eat them, they just tare there stomach apart spilling their entrails and move on to the next one. It’s much worse with sheep. Dogs are even worse than people when they get in packs, even the nicest dogs can turn into bloodthirsty monsters. With that said, shooting any form of life for no reason is psychotic.

Huh?
Huh?
Reply to  THC

I have an old timer neighbor with a jack Russell. That dog went into my chicken coop the very first time I opened it 7 days after getting the 6 chickens. He ripped up 2 of them really bad, 2 were OK, and 2 were never seen again. It happened in just a few minutes. I didn’t see it happen, nor did I want to shoot the dog and start a fued as I was the new guy in the neighborhood.
But I could care less on opinions pertaining to elderly terms of endearment or positions on shooting trespassing dogs…
What I’m more concerned about is yet another killer strolling around SoHum! Thats at least 6 unsolved murders in the last few years that I can recall off the top of my head.

11 months ago

When the people arrived on the newly subdivided ranches of course a lot of them got dogs. Since they had 40, 80, or 120 acres they thought it okay to not confine their dogs and let them run lose. A neighboring rancher lost over 300 sheep in 3 years time. Finding these animals was not a pretty sight, lots of them still alive walking around with their intestines dragging the ground. Needless to say the rancher had to move away and leave the ranch that had been in the family for many generations. Please keep your dogs at home and don’t be the guy that says my dog would never do that which is often the story heard. I’m sure this man had the same story to tell way too many times. I love the salt of the earth old ranchers because my grandfather was one of them.

New day same old stuff
New day same old stuff
11 months ago

Good News for Country Folks.
No licence required to shoot unleashed unattended dogs in any UNINCORPORATED AREA of any County in CA. Current Dog tags DO NOT EXEMPT a dog from being shot if unleashed and unattended. Yup. Keep yer powder dry.

Election was riged
Election was riged
11 months ago

What a good family these people are, but anti marijuana, sparked alot of tension with people on the mountain in a changing situation, Soo sad, people always disrespectful to that stretch of road way, justice needs to be served

Dano
Dano
11 months ago

Speculation is rampant on here, as always…
1) A dachsund is not a “danger” to anyone or anything, except maybe a rat.
2) Just because you have a “right” to do something doesn’t mean it is a moral thing to do.
3) If you lose 300 sheep in 3 years to predation you are a bad sheep rancher.
4) Killing a dog just because of its breed is immoral.
5) killing a dog just because it is loose or trespassing is immoral.
6) killing a dog because it is attacking wildlife, livestock, people, or other dogs MAY be justified

Reply to  Dano

And that attitude is why dogs get shot. You do not respect the dog for what it is but for you want it to be. Dogs die all the time for those fantasies.

Mike
Mike
Reply to  Dano

If you have a large breed of dog that is physically capable of causing serious bodily damage to another mammal it is your responsibility as a owner to keep it confined to your property. I own large dogs, and I had to explain to my wife that if our dogs are allowed to roam free we cannot blame someone for shooting them. Even if the dog wasn’t causing harm. Grow up, keep your dogs contained.

I like stars
I like stars
Reply to  Dano

Dachshunds hunt badgers. They are not harmless.

Angela Robinson
Angela Robinson
11 months ago

I hope Mr. Drewry’s family is doing as well as they can right now.

The dog thread jack is sad, remembering what this article is about.

lee
lee
11 months ago

rip dick🤙…. it sadnz me that some fkn piece of shit shot you in the back of the head! you will be always remembered…..karmas gonna be a bitch for that fker

geoffrey davis
geoffrey davis
Reply to  lee

Kim.. please consider removing the post from Lee. So i cant say white trash either? hoping this gets your attention.

Reply to  geoffrey davis

You need to be able to tell the difference between calling a specific criminal out for his behavior and calling a whole segment of the population names because you want to insult all of them on general principles.

Lynn H
Lynn H
Reply to  geoffrey davis

It’s classist behavior.

Mendocino Mamma
Mendocino Mamma
11 months ago

Cry baby mamby pamby folks. Move up to the hills with $ but no COMMON SENSE. Can’t leash or contain their dogs. Want all the water to grow their weed. Tear the land up, cause a bunch of bs with the neighbors. ITS ALL GOOD THEY THEY HAVE A PERMIT FROM THE COUNTY. IT IS ALL APPROVED. Smile and wave look the other way. Someone was BRUTALLY MURDERED. No excuse or justifican makes that ok EVER.

lee
lee
11 months ago

absolutely correct mendo mama🤙ive lived in harris for my whole life & lol im even permitted.dick was a great person and was a friend…… we need answers as to what pos did this around here

Bill
Bill
11 months ago

Obviously someone knows the story behind this. If it was related to a dog killing by the rancher than they know. Rumor is that it may have also been tied to water issues and that Bulgarians may be involved.

Either way someone knows, now it is time to do the right thing and bring justice to the Drewry family.

Thanks,
Bill

Jessica Taaning Sanchez
Jessica Taaning Sanchez
Reply to  Bill

Any possibility of sending me a transcript of your interview? I had so many questions to ask him. Always thought there was time left to do it. I would so greatly appreciate it thank you he was my grandmother’s favorite little cousin they were first cousins and raised on that ranch. I am so saddened by this tragedy.

wantstoknow
wantstoknow
11 months ago

Thirty-something years ago we put in a quarter mile’s worth of orchard fencing around our house to keep our dogs inside our household perimeter. Best money we ever spent. Our dogs get to be dogs and we get the peace of mind that comes with knowing they’re not running around bothering the neighbors– or getting shot by an understandably irate rancher…Meanwhile I’ve heard a lot of conjecture regarding Dick Drewry’s untimely demise. Our hearts go out to his family. These are good people, the bedrock of the community. Our hope is that this tragic incident will not be allowed to fade away for lack of an on-going and far-reaching investigation.

Janice Holden
11 months ago

This man was my cousin. He was the last old-timer in the family line. He was a good person , the Cowardly piece of s*** that killed him may they rot in hell . I had many questions to ask him. I would love to have a transcript of the interview. This sickens and saddens me. I hope and pray the people are caught, and prosecuted to the fullest.

Janet V Beaver
Janet V Beaver
11 months ago

Went from a murder to dogs rights. Pretty fucking pathetic people.

JD