SLOW THE Fstreet DOWN EUREKA!

Slow f stPress release from Slow the Fstreet Down:

Due to the increase of traffic, speeds, and accidents on F Street, between Harris Street & Herrick Ave, residents have come together to kick off a “Slow the Fstreet Down” campaign.

• “Slow the Fstreet Down” lawn signs and bumper stickers will be available to F Street residents on Friday 9/25 between 5-7 PM at the corner of F Street & Willow.
    • F Street and Rosewood neighborhood residents have been working with city and county officials to create more awareness and traffic calming to the area.

Eureka, CA – Have you ever witnessed a car accident? A beloved pet hit by a car? How about a child, elder or bicyclist being struck by a car? Too often residents up and down F Street, a busy little street that runs through the Rosewood neighborhood of Eureka, have been woken from a dead sleep by vehicle crashes, witnessed pets being hit, elders and disabled community members unable to cross the street, and children unable to get across the street to get to their school.

Every day residents of this area witness vehicles, including huge semi-trucks traveling at 40-50+ MPH on this section of F Street. It is time to start bringing awareness to the community before someone is very badly injured or killed.

Without any studies of the effect on residential areas of Eureka, Broadway has welcomed corporations who have installed traffic lights. As a result, the F Street neighborhood has become a diversion of freeway traffic, creating increased traffic, accidents, speeds and loads that were not intended to travel across this road.

F Street residents will be kicking off their Slow the Fstreet Down campaign on Friday, September 25th from 5-7 PM. Volunteers will be handing out yard signs and bumper stickers for F Street residents. Please wear your mask and practice social distancing if you plan to collect your sign or sticker.

“Slow The Fstreet Down” is a volunteer-run campaign to support neighbors in taking back control of their property and lives, while bringing awareness to those who travel through the area. The neighborhood is committed to working with the city and county to see that this residential street is made safer through education and traffic calming measures.

For more information please visit:

tax payer
tax payer

put the Fmask down.

i hope you all know that those masks are only for stopping flying spit from landing in an open wound

Willie Bray
Reply to  tax payer

🕯🌳You draggers just can’t help yourself and invade every thread, so sad.

HOJ in Training
HOJ in Training
Reply to  Willie Bray

Good one, Willie! Boy, if that ain’t the mirror calling the kettle for Christmas.

Miguel
Reply to  tax payer

Don’t play scientist, you might shoot yourself in the eye.

R
R
Reply to  tax payer

Tax payer,
thanks.

Screwed Sideways
Screwed Sideways
1 year ago

Hey, slow down the whole damn town… Every time I have escaped from the outdoor asylum known as Ewreeka, I count lucky stars… Slow down everywhere in Humboldt! Where the heck are you in a hurry to go anyway?

How about a nice bypass?

Eureka scares the crap outta me, if I’m going up the coast, I go through Redding out the 299 and turn right at the People’s Republic of Arcata… Might not EVER go through that damned town again!

I like stars
I like stars
1 year ago

Is that a threat or a promise?

Screwed Sideways
Screwed Sideways
Reply to  I like stars

More like a contract… You keep your silly town, with the chubby mommy-Mayor and the Church-Lady Control-Freak City Council, to yourselves, and, I just won’t go there, spend any money there, have anything to do with your shit-town…

And I would take the back streets, Harris to Harrison to Myrtle, any time any day, to avoid driving through “downtown” Ewreeka… Ick, what a dump!

Eureka: not a place to go, not a thing to do… Tourists beware and be wary!

Just Sayin
Just Sayin
1 year ago

Please don’t, we have enough of our own dipshits to deal with!

Screwed Sideways
Screwed Sideways
Reply to  Just Sayin

Like “I see stars” above?

Bushytails
Bushytails
1 year ago

F street is a major road. Deal with it. If you don’t want to have traffic in front of your house, don’t live on the connector between a large portion of the city, including major commercial and residential districts, and the highway. If anything, F street needs improvements to speed up traffic, in recognition of how much of a role it plays in accessing eureka.

“taking back control of their property” Are people driving on your property? Didn’t think so. Those telephone poles in the sidewalk aren’t your property either. Stop littering them with your trash.

Also, stop being harmful to society.

Gloria
Gloria
Reply to  Bushytails

You are a idiot,I have to come home on f street and the traffic can be terrible and this street is not for racing or speeding .Broadway has cause a lot of traffic on f st.The should slow traffic down to 25 miles and keep from killing someone or running over animals as well.I hate it when I see logging truck comming around golf course.Maybe if they lower speed limit people will be more cautious and their needs to be cops out their.People in a big rush go out to walnut and get on elk river road straight shot to freeway less traffic.

I like stars
I like stars
Reply to  Gloria

People do need to drive carefully and obey speed limits and other laws, but the owners of animals are the ones responsible for keeping those animals out of the road. If you let your pet run loose and it is hit by a car, you (not the driver) are ultimately the person responsible for the death.

Bushytails
Bushytails
Reply to  Gloria

Lowering speed limits only results in more people speeding, nothing more. In fact, many studies show lowering them excessively (which 25mph certainly would be) increases speeds, because everyone just goes “yeah fucking right”. I suspect that if eureka actually did a traffic study on F, they’d end up raising the speed limit to 40. (I loved when a few noisy people in manila bitched about through traffic and demanded caltrans change the speed limit, and caltrans’s answer was “sure, if you want us to, to 65…”) The back side of Eureka is difficult to access. F street is the primary access to it. A good option to help with multiple problems would be to build a connector from fairway to campton. This would allow cutten traffic to bypass eureka proper entirely (without a huge loop up elk river) and move east eureka traffic onto nice wide H street instead of F street. But, it would involve the city actually spending money, both to acquire property and build roads, so fat chance of that ever happening – they’d much rather our taxes simply vanish into thin air. And, of course, then the people on H street will complain that they’re on… Read more »

Angela Robinson
Angela Robinson
Reply to  Bushytails

F St. is a two lane both ways street. To make it a major connector it would have to be widened and if you are familiar with it, you know that would require taking out a whole lot of houses, as the entire street has houses, buildings right next to the current sidewalks.

H St (and I St.), yeah, that’s been the connector since at least I was a child, in the 60s. They are already three lane.

Bushytails
Bushytails
1 year ago

It already is a major connector. This is why there’s so much traffic on it.

If parking were eliminated, there would be room for four lanes. It has fairly wide parking as eureka streets go. Another option would be to make a one-way couplet, with F two lanes out of town and G two lanes into town, or similar. But, of course, certain people will still complain that there’s cars allowed to drive in front of their house.

Juan Manuel Fangio
Juan Manuel Fangio
Reply to  Bushytails

When it comes down to it, your convenience is far more important than the lives of strangers. And if 20 people have to die so that you can avoid having to depart 5 minutes earlier, then that’s a small price to pay for convenience.

Don’t let a bunch of bleeding heart lilly-livered liberals tell you to slow down! Speeding is your god-given birthright! Use it or lose it!

Willie Bray

🕯🌳Damn dagger for sure.

Screwed Sideways
Screwed Sideways
1 year ago

I like the way you think, but don’t come to Lake County and decide you are moving fast enough…

Floor that bastard or get the heck outta the way!

Diogenes Rants
Diogenes Rants
Reply to  Bushytails

Cool story bro. And then everyone stood up and clapped.

It's dangerous driving....
It's dangerous driving....
1 year ago

The worst times are at 7am to 8:30am and anytime after 3pm. Why are logging trucks and other 18 wheelers and dump trucks are allowed on F Street? Then the mess at the school signs. Sheriff’s cars and ambulances also use F Street to get to the 101 Herrick on ramp. And commercial construction trucks with wide trailers with drivers on their cell phones. The street is not wide enough for vehicles to park and exit their vehicles. Especially at the market. An open driver’s side door and two cars cannot pass each other. And at high traffic times going around the golf course parking lot is dangerous. Including people making turns to access the cross streets causes some drivers to pass on the right or in one case passing on the left when people are crossing the street in pedestrian crosswalks. . F Street traffic will increase. Finally the idiots who drive at 20mph just to piss people off are a nuisance. An instant Road Rage button. Broadway has too many stop lights. The In and Out light has made the conditions worse. Nearly all of the lights on Broadway were installed because of businesses. Wabash street, In and… Read more »

local observer
local observer
1 year ago

I have been using E Street all these years. I thought there were more stop signs on F.

Angela Robinson
Angela Robinson
Reply to  local observer

Yeah, I forgot about E St. The other two I mentioned were our route from our neighborhood to downtown.

Pike Mortar
Pike Mortar
Reply to  local observer

F south of Harris has 0 stop signs. E south also has none, but it’s not a through street.

E north of Harris is faster than F north of Harris for reason you mention.

Leadfoot Louis
Leadfoot Louis
1 year ago

Apparently none of the “top minds” of this benighted community have even considered the possibility of using already extant resources to address this problem. Perhaps the cops are too busy terrorizing gardening enthusiasts to be bothered with such mundane methods of revenue generation like dispensing speeding tickets.

Perhaps if the city were to subsidize the strategic relocation of a donut shop to the neighborhood, this would draw the police who, in turn, would – despite themselves – act as a sort of deterrent. At least until the scofflaws realized that, just like a scarecrow, the police will do nothing.

Diogenes Rants
Diogenes Rants
Reply to  Leadfoot Louis

I’m genuinely curious what Eureka cops do; they’ve straight up disappeared the past few years. Now I only see the CHP occasionally enforcing speed limits, but I never see Eureka cops DOING anything, and when you call them they almost never DO anything then either. Car broken into? That sucks. Wallet stolen? That sucks. That’s just the attitude in general “Oh, damn. That sucks,” then they go do…what? I don’t even SEE cops in the city anymore, it’s like they’re driving around but doing nothing. Did we have a huge cut in services?

mountain goat
mountain goat
1 year ago

G st is really bad sometimes too! My roommates car has been sideswiped twice and another neighbor had his car hit as well.
Humboldt is full of terrible drivers

Angela Robinson
Angela Robinson
1 year ago

I was thinking about this a bit.

The population of Eureka proper still hasn’t completely recovered from what it was in 1960 (the 60s saw a huge drop, which I find amusing because that’s when my family moved to Eureka early in the decade). And yet it seems that traffic has gotten so much worse. So much so that impatient drivers resort to using what is clearly a residential street.

Have the drivers changed so much? I guess I could blame the “suburbs”, but are they what is impacting F St.?

Of course, a bypass has always seemed to be “in the works” or at least talked about….but that was about diverting 101 from downtown.

Bushytails
Bushytails
1 year ago

I would absolutely love to see a bypass. Especially one that creates a 65mph connector to the back side of town in the process. That would make the F street people happy too.

Screwed Sideways
Screwed Sideways
Reply to  Bushytails

And, it would obliterate the need to EVER go through freeking Eureeka ever again! Yay!

well . . .
well . . .
1 year ago

I don’t see the proposing any real solution. A real solution would be something like raising the speed limits back to what they originally were on h&i streets, or bypassing 101. you can’t simply tell motorists that you will not provide them any north-south corridors that move at a reasonable speed.

sassy
sassy
1 year ago

F street is not as bad as Herrick Ave…It takes 10 minutes to back out of our driveway. people passing in the oncoming lane, logging trucks and every other kind of large trucks all going 10 to 15 miles over the speedlimit. It is a mess…

curlybill
1 year ago

If it is in the city, your city council is where you should get direction.

Pike Mortar
Pike Mortar
1 year ago

F Street, like almost every street in Eureka, would be instantly made safer if cars couldn’t park on the curb line. If you have to have curb parking for those houses without driveways, garages, etc., then mandate that cars can’t park within 200 feet of an intersection. Red zone the shit out of the area. The biggest issues I see aren’t speeders particularly, it’s people pulling out in front of oncoming cars because their view was obstructed by parked vehicles. Those crashes are made worse by speed.

Reply to  Pike Mortar

Agreed. Can’t see shit driving in Eureka with all the parked cars in the street.

Bushytails
Bushytails
Reply to  Pike Mortar

Some of the turns onto F, I’m tempted to say Willow and Madrone but I don’t remember for sure which ones they are, are already pretty much impossible to see from, parked cars or not, because of the way the road slopes. Some red zones at those corners would definitely help. But, it would also mean some people could no longer park at their houses…

Masked Man
Masked Man
Reply to  Pike Mortar

Yes, that’s also what I thought. It’s often impossible to see oncoming traffic if you’re turning onto F from a side street. Reduced speed would give everyone more reaction time at least, but visibility and speeding are a problem on most Eureka streets. I never see EPD ticketing speeders on H and I, but I have seen a lot of near misses with inattentive speeding drivers almost mowing down kids walking to and from school.

Industrial Disease
Industrial Disease
1 year ago

Traffic calming measures would improve Eureka vehicle safety there and elsewhere.

Agent Mudd
1 year ago

Install cheap speed bumps all along the problem areas! Simple, ‘No trucks allowed! ‘Signs. I had to sell my house in ‘youstinka’, due to stress from the homeless and gansters , thefts, Shit in my yard, Needles, abusing me daily while on my own property! (3rd St.) Too bad, Drugs are bad!! Gangster, fraudulent ,privileged , pompas ass city council, and Building Dept also!Don’t buy a house in youstinka!!

Diogenes Rants
Diogenes Rants
1 year ago

Can we have I street get in on this? I’m sick of teenage hicks trying to kill everyone while drag-racing growdozers down the street to impress their ugly girlfriends. Irritating enough to dodge BMW’s going forty, when you have two yokels hauling duellies down a residential street at 70 mph it makes you want to fling them into the sun.

No, it isn’t “good clean fun,” it’s morons hurtling through residential streets at freeway speeds in 3 ton weapons so they can feel relevant. It isn’t NBD, it’s dangerous as hell and disrespectful AF. I don’t come to your trailer and try to run over your huntin’ dawg or your toddler, don’t come to my neighborhood and try to plaster me or my neighbors.