Arcata Offers Some COVID-19 Energy Conservation Tips
This is a press release from the City of Arcata:
With everyone staying at home for extended periods of time, households may have a harder time conserving energy.
To help residents save money while we shelter in place, the Environmental Services Department recommends the following energy conservation methods:
- Talk to household members about conserving energy.
- Engage children by having them turn off lights and electronics.
- Set the thermostat to 68°F when at home and awake, and to 58°F while away or asleep.
- Limit screen time as often as possible.
- Consider wearing a sweater or using a blanket to stay warm.
- Use natural light during sunnier hours of the day.
- Warm or cool off your home naturally by opening blinds and windows.
- Take shorter showers to reduce water-heating costs.
- Plug personal electronics into a power strip and turn it off when not in use.
- Unplug small appliances and electronics, like coffee makers and printers, when not in use.
- Completely turn off the television and gaming consoles when not in use.
Additionally, PG&E has outlined a series of billing and service modifications to support customers during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please visit pge.com for more information. Community members experiencing financial hardships due to the economic impact of COVID-19 are encouraged to call PG&E for assistance at 1-800-743-5000.
For more energy conservation tips, visit cityofarcata.org or call the Environmental Services Department at (707) 822-8184.