Arcata Wants You to Resolve to Reduce Waste in 2019
This is a press release from the City of Arcata:
By implementing just one of the zero waste resolutions listed below, you can help reduce your environmental footprint in the New Year.
1. Resolve to stop buying beverages in plastic bottles. It is always best to use reusable containers whenever possible. If you must buy a bottled beverage, buy one in a plastic alternative, like glass or metal, and always be sure to recycle.
2. Resolve to swap one single-use or disposable item for a reusable counterpart each month. By reducing the use of single-use items every month, you can make a great impact. Some single-use items you can easily avoid are dryer sheets, tea bags, plastic bags and paper coffee cups.
3. Resolve to plan your meals and stick to your shopping list. Food waste makes up a large portion of the average household’s waste, and carefully planning out meals is an easy way to help our environment. Create a shopping list and stick to it. Seek out organic and local foods when you are shopping, and be sure to eat and store your leftovers, and compost food items whenever possible.
4. Resolve to create a “reusable” on-the-go kit. Put items you use regularly in a small reusable shopping bag and take them with you to avoid using single-use items. Consider including a reusable water bottle, utensils, a reusable food storage container, a handkerchief or anything else you use frequently while on the go.
5. Resolve to buy things only to replace things. Reducing consumption can help you save money in addition to helping the environment. When you need a replacement item, consider buying it used.
For more information on zero waste, call the Environmental Services Department at 707- 822-8184 or visit cityofarcata.org