Fire on Gross Street in Eureka Occurred When Occupant Attempted to Build a Fire in the Woodstove

victim and firefighters

Firefighters talk with the resident of the home that caught on fire. [Photo by Bobby Kroeker]

Press release from Humboldt Bay Fire:

On 11/18/18 at 5:25 P.M. Humboldt Bay Fire responded to a reported structure fire on the 1300 block of Gross Street in Eureka.

Humboldt Bay Fire responded with a first alarm assignment of three engines, one ladder truck, and a chief officer to a reported structure fire in the 1300 block of Gross Street in Eureka.

The first arriving engine reported significant smoke coming from single story residential structure. An occupant was attempting to extinguish a fire burning on an interior wall of the structure. Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire and removed the occupant to the outside. The occupant was evaluated for minor smoke inhalation but refused further treatment.
It was determined that the fire was caused by combustibles too close to a wood stove. The occupant was attempting to build a fire in the wood stove and embers ignited wood and other combustibles nearby, quickly spreading to the wall.

Firefighters remained on scene for about thirty minutes to remove smoke from the residence and to ensure there were no other hot spots. The fire caused about $2,500 damage.
Humboldt Bay Fire wants to remind everyone to keep combustibles such as newspaper and firewood at least three feet from wood stoves and fireplaces and to always have functioning smoke alarms.

Earlier Chapter: Chimney Fire in Eureka Extends Slightly Into Home

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail

3 comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *