Rate Structures, Backup Tank, Chlorine Contact Chamber and More Discussed at Garberville Sanitary Board Meeting
The Garberville Sanitary Board of Directors held their regular monthly meeting on
August 28, 2018 and I have included a summary of that meeting.
1. The meeting opened and then proceeded to the water treatment plant site which is where the new chlorine contact chamber has been placed and being prepared to be part of the water disinfection process. The chlorine contact chamber is 36’ long by 10’ diameter and holds 20,000 gallons of water. The process allows the disinfected water to enter the tank through a perforated wall and then over and under a series of baffles while exiting the tank through another perforated wall to be used safely for human consumption. We are looking forward to having this process completed after the failure of the previous underground chlorine contact chamber from last November.
2. There was a report of the GSD projects and private projects underway with status of those projects. There are a couple new developments in the planning stages with others waiting for regulatory agency approval. GSD has completed a sewer line replacement and added a backup 10,000 gallon tank for additional storage.
3. The District is working to provide an easier yet consistent rate structure for the customers and discussing a senior/low income service charge credit which will add some relief to those fixed income customers.
4. The Board discussed adding a new water meter tampering ordinance to address those who turn their water on after they have been turned off for non-payment. Discussion will continue on what to do about those who tamper with GSD water and equipment.
5. The Board wants staff to develop a water balance and South Fork Eel River comparison graph to show river characteristics and customer water use demands. This process is ongoing but should be completed by end of 2018.
6. There were enough candidates to fill the open Board positions and those Board members will be sworn into office in December of this year.
For questions about GSD Board meetings please contact our office at 923-9566
Garberville Sanitary District