Arcata Hiring Part-Time Bus Drivers
This is a press release from the City of Arcata:
A job description and requirements are included below.
Part-Time & Seasonal Transit Bus Driver Job Description:
Under the general supervision of the Transit Manager, drives a bus or other passenger vehicle while following an established route and timetable. Must exercise independent judgment with most situations that arise while en route.
Typical Tasks & Duties:
• Inspects vehicle and performs safety checks at the beginning of each shift.
• Drives City Buses and other City owned passenger vehicles.
• Collects fares, sells passes, issues transfers and provides accurate schedule information.
• Assists passengers with boarding the bus.
• Operates wheel chair lifts and tie downs.
• Fueling of buses and other City vehicles.
• Performs other related duties as assigned
Minimum Employment Standards:
• Vehicle codes, safety requirements for public transportation vehicles, City of Arcata streets and landmarks.
• Ability to drive a transit bus, read and interpret timetables and read road signs.
• Possess effective oral communication skills in order to give directions and answer questions for the general public.
• Must be able to receive instruction and follow through.
• Applicant must become familiar with the operation of a two-way radio and electronic fare boxes.
• Must possess a valid California Class A or B Commercial Driver’s license and a good driving
• record (no more than 2 moving violations within the past 3 years).
• Must participate in a federally mandated drug and alcohol-testing program, including both pre-employment and random testing.
• Must have the physical ability to climb stairs, lift and carry heavy items weighing up to 50 pounds and sit for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to work outside in inclement weather and among pollen/dust.
• Must be willing and available to work on-call as necessary. Available to travel locally or out of town to attend meetings, trainings and workshops.
• Requires working with and/or around hazardous materials (Diesel Fuel).
Experience & Training:
Minimum Education Required: High school diploma or Equivalent.
Minimum Experience Required: Class B license with passenger and air brake
endorsements. One year of experience working with people with disabilities is desirable but not required.
Applications for this job are available online at www.cityofarcata.org/Jobs.aspx or at the Arcata Transit Center located at 925 E Street in Arcata. For more information, please call 707-825-2041.