Sun and Sea for Everyone: Beach Wheelchairs in Humboldt and Mendocino Counties
You can borrow a beach wheelchair for free at more than 100 beaches in California, and new locations have just been added to our list for Humboldt and Del Norte Counties! There are also beach walkers at some spots…
Beach Wheelchairs are equipped with large, wide wheels which can roll across the sand without sinking. They usually require users to be accompanied by someone pushing them, although several California locations offer motorized chairs which may be self-propelled.
All of the beaches on the map below own their own wheelchairs and lend them free of charge.
Please contact beaches directly to make arrangements to use their chairs. Users may be asked to leave a form of personal identification while borrowing the chair. Chairs are most commonly available from a lifeguard or the entrance kiosk at a beach, although a few are handled by concessionaires whose names appear on the list. Some may be reserved ahead of time, while others are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Call ahead for availability.
The California Coastal Commission is sharing this information as part of a commitment to helping all residents of the state experience the beach firsthand. Do you know a California beach with a wheelchair that is missing from this list?
Please e-mail email@example.com and let us know.
- Van Damme State Park, Little River
- Big River Beach, Mendocino Headlands State Park
- Russian Gulch State Park
- Caspar Headlands State Beach
- MacKerricher State Park
- Manila Dunes, at the Humboldt Coastal Nature Center, (707) 444-1397
- Arcata Marsh & Wildlife Sanctuary, at the Interpretive Center, (707) 826-2359
- Patrick’s Point (no beach access; borrow chair then drive to your location), (707) 677-3570
- Stone Lagoon (no beach access; sign chair out at Patrick’s Point, then drive to your location), (707) 677-3570 or (707) 465-7335
- Freshwater Lagoon Beach, at Kuchel Visitor Center, Orick, (707) 465-7765
- Gold Bluffs Beach, Orick, (707) 465-7335
Del Norte County
- Crescent Beach picnic area, (707) 465-7335
- Redwood Harbor Village RV park, Crescent City Harbor, (707) 388-0159
- Tolowa Dunes State Park, Crescent City (borrow a chair elsewhere and drive), (707) 465-7335
To find out which California beaches offer wheelchairs to borrow, click on the county of your choice. This is the same information found in the map above.
Please contact beaches directly to make arrangements to use their chairs.