Man on Probation for Felony Reckless Evading Sought by Fortuna Police for Allegedly Fleeing at Speeds of 100 MPH Today
At approximately 5:06 p.m., a Fortuna police officer attempted to stop a blue 2010 Audi with tinted windows near the intersection of Fortuna Boulevard and Kenmar. The vehicle sped off with two occupants.
According to scanner traffic, the driver took his vehicle south on 101 at speeds of up to 100 mph. The driver then fled eastbound onto 36 after running the stop sign at the offramp. He also passed another vehicle on the left and continued eastbound.
The officer discontinued pursuit and lost sight of the vehicle.
The suspect being sought in connection with this pursuit is Thomas Wheeler who is currently on probation for Felony Reckless Evading which occurs when someone flees law enforcement, according to a BOLO posted over the scanner.
Wheeler was the driver of the vehicle from which Shawn Hof, Jr. shot at a Fish and Wildlife Warden in August of 2016. Hof was sentenced to 20 years after his January trial.
According to a press release by the Department of Fish and Wildlife, Wheeler was sentenced “to a suspended sentence of eight years in state prison for the use of a firearm in aiding and abetting the assault on a peace officer, evading a peace officer with wanton and reckless disregard for person and property, two misdemeanor violations for allowing another person to shoot from a vehicle, and spotlighting.”
- Shooters Still on the Run Following Crash Near Hwy 36
- ‘Spotlighter’ Shoots Multiple Times at Fish and Wildlife Warden Early This Morning
- Sheriff’s Office Names Gunman Sought for Shooting at Fish and Wildlife Officer
- Reward for Information Leading to Capture of Suspect Involved in Shooting at Wildlife Officer
- $20,000 Reward Offered in Case of Suspect in Shooting at Wildlife Officer
- Law Enforcement in a Foot Chase With Suspects Near Bear River Casino
- At Least Nine Detained in Ferndale During Massive Raid
- $20,000 Reward for Man Wanted for Allegedly Attempting to Shoot a CDFW Officer
- Shawn Hof Who Allegedly Shot at Fish and Wildlife Officer Turned Himself in
- 25-Year-Old Sentenced to 20 Years for Shooting at Fish and Wildlife Officer