Plaza Plaque Plucked…McKinley Statue Still Stands
JACOBY BUILDING – The basement and first story of this building at 8th and H Streets (opposite) was constructed in 1857 for Augustus Jacoby. For many years it was a principal supply point for the Klamath-Trinity mining camp trade. From 1858 through 1864 it served periodically as a refuge in time of Indian troubles. Housing various mercantile firms during its early years. It was acquired by A. Brizard in 1880.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 783.
Plaque placed by the State Park Commission in cooperation with the Humboldt County Historical Society. The city of Arcata, and Brizard Company June 8, 1963.