[UPDATE 12 p.m.] Mendocino Sheriff Declares State of Emergency, Approximately 10,000 Acres Burned, 0% Containment, Approximately 80 Structures Gone
Overnight, a fire started in Potter Valley. Wind whipped the fire pushing it over the homes of sleeping families. Emergency personnel and neighbors called and went door to door warning people. At least one person is dead. Scanner reports indicate more were killed. Another fire, possibly birthed by the Potter Fire, began in Redwood Valley. They are now being considered one incident, the Redwood Complex, which totals approximately 10,000 acres, and there is 0% containment. The Mendocino Sheriff’s Office has declared a State of Emergency in Mendocino County.
So far one fatality has been confirmed. More deaths were reported on the scanner but haven’t yet been confirmed. There have been at least two serious injurious, and numerous minor injuries including a firefighter who was sent to the hospital with possible heat and smoke issues.
Cal Fire is reporting that approximately 80 structures have been destroyed.
High winds and dry weather continue to whip the flames fast and far. Though winds are expected to decrease, the dry weather is expected to continue. The fire though is only one of many which attacked California during the night. Many other areas from Sonoma County to Butte County are beset and government resources are stretched tightly.
Evacuations as of 11:10 a.m. include: Areas of Potter Valley, the community of Redwood Valley and Golden Rule. There is NO evacuation in Willits as of 11:25 a.m. in spite of rumors.
Evacuation Information and other Important Facts:
- Anyone evacuating with animals can take them to the Ukiah Fairgrounds
- The Mendocino Sheriff’s Department tweeted that shelters are open for fire evacuees. Those south of fire go to Ukiah High School. Those north of the fire go to Willits Community Center.
- As of 4:32 a.m., The Mendocino Sheriff’s Department just posted on Facebook, “Highway 101 is closed from Uva Drive North to Ridgewood Grade. All Redwood Valley south of School Way Circle to Highway 20 and east to Horshoe Circle is under EVACUATION WARNING. An evacuation warning means you need to be ready to move out at a moment’s notice – prepare animals, important papers, medicines & other necessities.”
- Mendocino Sheriff states, “Call center for fire information is now open. Do not call 9-1-1 unless you have an emergency.Fire information numbers:(707) 467-6428
- According to the CHP, Hwy 101 between Uva Drive and the Willits Bypass is closed.
UPDATE 11:36 a.m.: Caltrans posted these images of fire burning alongside 101 south of Willits. Click on each image to enlarge it:
UPDATE 12 p.m.: The Mendocino Voice has more information here.
More Information on Major Fire Incident Stories From Oct 9:
- Hwy 20 Closed Due to Fire
- Major Fire in Mendocino Joins Others Whipping Across Northern California; 101 Closing
- Major Fires Breaking Out in Northern California: Structures and Vehicles Burning, Evacuations Ongoing, Victims Injured, Roads Closed
- Redwood Valley North of Ukiah on Fire: Evacuations, Multiple Structures Burned, Serious Injuries
- Potter Fire: 1500 Acres, 11 Structures Confirmed Destroyed
- TV and Phone Services Down on the West Coast
- Fire Hits Just Above the Belt: Overview of the Fires Burning From Mendocino to Sonoma
- One Dead, Multiple Structures Burned, Numerous Injuries, One Looter Arrested in Redwood Complex Fire