Hwy 299 to Open Multiple Times Today
Anticipated Openings with Traffic Control in Area of Helena Fire: MONDAY SEPTEMBER 4, 2017 ONLY
State Route 299W – Between Junction City and Big Flat
REDDING – Caltrans District 2, in coordination with the Shasta-Trinity Forest Service, Cal Fire, California Highway Patrol, Trinity County Sheriff’s Office, and Trinity County Department of Transportation anticipate the following highway openings tomorrow, September 4, 2017 on State Route 299W in the area of the Helena Fire:
SINGLE-TIME OPENINGS ANTICIPATED AT:
· 5:30 a.m.
· 9 a.m.
· 12 p.m.
· 3 p.m.
· 5:30 p.m.
· 9:30 p.m.
THIS SCHEDULE IS FOR MONDAY SEPTEMBER 4, 2017 ONLY. FOLLOWING THE 9:30 P.M. ANTICIPATED OPENING, THE HIGHWAY WILL BE CLOSED OVERNIGHT.
Eastbound and westbound traffic IN LINE at these times will be allowed through the area under traffic control, depending on fire activity and operations. Motorists are also asked not to stage in the area early. Please arrive at the highway closure areas within 15 – 20 minutes of the scheduled opening times. Traffic arriving in these areas too far in advance will be turned around and directed to find another place to wait.
· These openings are for THROUGH TRAFFIC ONLY. All areas under evacuation orders remain closed.
· The highway is subject to closure AT ANY TIME due to fire conditions. Travelers are urged to drive slowly and carefully through the area. Visibility may be decreased due to smoke and fire crews and equipment will be present in the area.
· Motorists are strongly advised to continue using alternative routes. State Route 36 is open with no traffic control until Tuesday September 5, when regular construction road closures will resume between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. and again between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m.
State Route 299W has been closed between Junction City and Big Flat since the Helena Fire began on the evening on August 30. The fire is currently at 7,440 acres, with 6% containment, per the fire briefing this morning.
Agencies will continue to monitor the situation, and provide updates as they become available.
- Hwy 299 Closed at Helena Due to Fire
- A 17-Year-Old Mendocino Girl Recounts How She and Friends Fled the Helena Fire in Trinity County
- Hwy 299 Still Closed After 6000 Acre Wildfire Burned Homes and Sent Around 2000 Residents Fleeing
- Smoke Levels Near Helena Fire on 299 Are Hazardous
- Helena: Maps and 299 to Remain Closed
- Governor Brown Declares State of Emergency for Trinity County Due to Wildfire
- Helena Fire Disrupts Frontier Communications’ Service
- Helena Fire Pushes Toward Junction City After Destroying Over 140 Structures; Fork Fire Spreads West
- Helena and Fork Fires: Maps and Morning Update
- As Their Home Burns in the Helena Fire, a Mother and Daughter Are Saved by Passing Heros
- 299 to Open Twice This Evening