Kyle Zoellner’s Family Demands Arrest of Three Men
Welcome to our letters to the editor/opinion section. To submit yours for consideration, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please consider including an image to be used–either a photograph of you or something applicable to the letter. However, an image is not necessary for publication. Remember opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect that of Redheaded Blackbelt.
The uncle of Kyle Zoellner sent out the following statement demanding that Arcata Police arrest three men who allegedly assaulted Kyle Zoellner.
Kyle Zoellner was arrested for the stabbing death of David Josiah Lawson before being released by a judge for lack of evidence. These men assaulted Zoellner before Lawson was stabbed to death, alleges Jay Zoellner. Here is the statement:
The facts that came out of the preliminary are summarized by the following:
1) Kyle was not aggressive when inquiring about the cell phone and was in fact cordial according to all the witnesses (“Castillo said Zoellner was not being aggressive”).
2) Kyle was punched and hit by Josiah and the two Castillo brothers until he was knocked unconscious according the Castillo brothers own testimony (“That’s when a fight broke out between the girl and Josiah’s girlfriend, Ren. They got into a physical fight. They grabbed each other and fought. That’s when me and my brother and Josiah got into it” with Kyle Zoellner, Lawson’s alleged killer. Kristoff Castillo, Kyle Castillo’s brother, testified he believed Zoellner was unconscious when the Castillos, Lawson and Bobadillo left the party.
3) Parris Wright admitted to hitting Kyle twice (“Clark went to the police on his own, he said, to tell the truth. Clark is also the only witness, so far, to state Wright and Zoellner were in a “combative stance” and that a group of about 10 people attacked and punched Zoellner, including Wright”)
What we know from the testimony of the witnesses and from other witnesses that did not testify is that Kyle Zoellner was assaulted as soon as he showed up to pick up his girlfriend and her friends. He did not provoke anybody and was not aggressive yet he was beaten unconscious.
The witnesses that were friends of Josiah’s all tried to portray an image that Kyle and Josiah were then in a separate fight that did not involve any of them. The truth of the matter is that the beating was continual and did not stop. What Clark witnessed was the continued beating of Kyle. It is clear they went on record with their scenario to avoid being prosecuted for the brutal assault on Kyle. However, from their own testimony they admitted to assaulting Kyle without provocation.
The APD and the DA have not file charges against Parris Wright and the Castillo brothers to date for some unknown reason. We have been patient for many reasons but will no longer stay silent. If the APD does not arrest and charge Parris Wright and the Castillo brothers immediately for “assault and battery” on Kyle we plan press charges to compel the APD to perform their duties in a responsible manner. We will also implore the ADP to bring Clark in to identify the other individuals that continuously beat Kyle during the time frame that Josiah was tragically killed.Jay Zoellner
- 19-Year-Old HSU Student Dies After Stabbing in Arcata Early This Morning
- 23-Year-Old McKinleyville Resident Arrested in Connection with HSU Student’s Stabbing Death
- HSU Offers Students Who Witnessed Stabbing Death Amnesty for Breaking School Rules; Asks Cooperation With Police
- Arcata Police Not Releasing Photo of Suspect in Stabbing Death for Now
- APD Received Anonymous Email About Fatal Stabbing; Pleads With Writer to Come Forward
- Celebration of the Life of Stabbing Victim Will be Held at Humboldt State University Today; Racial Bias Alleged to Have Led to Death
- Hundreds Mourn Slain HSU Student at Thursday Vigil
- Uncle of Fatal Stabbing Suspect Writes Letter to the Editor Urging Community Re-examine Public Statements Made in the Case
- Family of Arcata Stabbing Suspect Claims the Real Killer Has Not Been Caught (Includes Timeline of Events as Presented in Public Statements by Those at the Party)
- HSU and Arcata Police Issue Statements Following Release of Kyle Zoellner in the Stabbing Death of David Josiah Lawson
- District Attorney’s Office Issues Statement as Defendant in Racially Charged Case Released
- Family of Kyle Zoellner Who Was Released Today in Stabbing Death Issues Statement to Family and Friends of Victim
- Justice for Josiah Gathering Keeps Arcata Lively Tonight; Another Protest Called for Tomorrow
- Letter to the Community of Arcata from Kyle Zoellner’s Uncle
- Chanting “‘Justice for Josiah,’ Protesters Gather at the Courthouse
- Family Announces $10,000 Reward for Information Leading to Conviction of Killer of David Josiah Lawson