[UPDATE 10:15 p.m.] Thursday: Expect Possible Issues on the Roads After Last Night’s Storm
Last night’s rain and heavy winds send slides spilling into roads as well as branches and even trees onto highways. Be alert for flooded areas and, please, be cautious as you drive.
Below is what we know about specific problems at this point. As more information comes in, we’ll update in blue.
- HWY 1: Closed in both direction just west of Leggett. (See here for more info.)
- Hwy 3: Open
- Hwy 36: There is a large slide at the Grizzly Creek Redwoods State Park. Caltrans has put in one lane controlled traffic
- Hwy 96:
- According to Caltrans, “SR 96 is reduced to one lane with traffic control at Cade Mountain (Siskiyou CO) due to a slip-out. Motorists should expect delay. Conditions subject to change.”
- Hwy 96 closed at mile marker 7.5. due to slide. Unknown when it will reopen.
- Hwy 101: Closed due to big rig accident at Klamath as of 3:37 p.m. There is a detour around it.
- Hwy 199: Closed due to slide about two miles north of Hiouchi. Road will be closed until 11 or 12 p.m. Thursday, according to the CHP Incident page.
- Hwy 211: Open (Check out the Fernbridge live cam)
- Hwy 254 (Avenue of the Giants):
- Closed from Holmes Flat to Barkdull Road.
- Hwy 255: Open
- Hwy 271: Open
- HWY 299: Mostly clear. However, the large slide at Big French Creek is still blocking east/west travel. Here’s the schedule from Caltrans:
…plan is to keep the road OPEN daily, starting on Sunday, Feb 12, 2017, through Wednesday, Feb 15, as follows:
5:30 am – 7:30 am OPEN
4:30 pm – 6:30 pm OPEN
6:30 pm overnight to 5:30 am OPEN
Please remember: RAIN changes the plan. UPDATE 3:23 p.m. Thursday: Caltrans reports, “SR 299 will be open this afternoon. That is, on Thursday, Feb 16 from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm.”
Humboldt County Roads:
Here’s what we know. As we learn details, we will add the information below.
- Alderpoint Road one lane at PM 30.33 and PM 34.79
- Bair Road (from Hwy 299) 1 lane controlled traffic at .50 mm and 1.30 mm
- Benbow Drive Closed
- Briceland Thorn Road at Ettersburg Junction-One way controlled traffic. (See here for more.)
- Cannibal Island Road flooded
- East Branch Road in Benbow one way controlled traffic at 2.7 mm.
- Eel River Drive closed at mile marker 1.
- Eel Rock Rd. – 1 Lane Controlled traffic at PM 2.7
- Ettersburg–still open but ugly
- Fullmore Road closed
- Hidden Court closed
- Howard Heights Road flooded
- Kings Peak Road closed at mile marker 7
- Landergen Road closed
- Mattole Rd
- 1 way control at mm 5.0
- Closed at mile marker 11.13 starting Monday for part of the day (see here for more information)
- Meridian between Port Kenyon and Centerville Closed
- Mosswood Lane closed
- Nunnemaker Rd at Eel Rock Rd. Closed- Slide/Slipout
- Old Briceland Road closed at mm 2.3
- Port Kenyon closed
- Salmon Creek Road closed at 0.56mm detour 101 or Maple Hills Road
- Shively Road 1 lane controlled traffic at 3.56mm, 7.00mm and 8.42 mm.
- 3.4 miles in (According to scanner last night was 4WD only. Not sure if the situation got clear.)
- Stagecoach Rd. – PM 1.00 Closed
- Wilder Ridge Road closed at Landergen Road indefinitely no alternate route.
Mendocino County Roads:
The Mendocino Voice has information here.