[UPDATE 5:09 p.m. : Here’s what’s Up With 101 South out of Humboldt] Thursday: Roads and Weather–(Anyone Got an Ark?)
The rain is expected to push the Klamath at Klamath over its banks about 8 p.m. tonight and push the Eel River at Fernbridge
over its banks on Friday. UPDATE at 1 p.m. today. (See here for a wonderful interactive map on rivers and if they are predicted to flood.)
Below is what we know about the battered roads in our area at this point but there are more issues that we haven’t confirmed. As more information comes in, we’ll update in blue.
- HWY 1: Closed in both direction just west of Leggett. (See here for more info.)(Most information below from Caltrans’ Quick Map. If you are heading to Oregon, check their similar site.)
- Hwy 3: Clear
- Hwy 36: Closed
- Hwy 96: According to Caltrans, “SR 96 is reduced to one lane with traffic control at Cade Mountain (Siskiyou CO) due to a slip-out. Motorists should expect delay. Conditions subject to change.”
- Hwy 101:
- Northbound lanes closed near Spyrock Road near Laytonville.
- Detour near Mendocino line through Route 271 which is now closed. (Temporarily reopened–See the latest on the route south from Humboldt here)
- Hwy 199: Clear
- Hwy 254 (Avenue of the Giants):
- Closed at mm 42 near Redcrest
- Hwy 271: now closed (See here for more info)
- HWY 299: Mostly clear. However, the large slide at Big French Creek is still blocking east/west travel. Caltrans reports this afternoon, “The road is closed due to the storm. Also closed Friday morning.”
Humboldt County Roads:
Here’s what we know. As we learn details, we will add the information below.
- Alderpoint Road one lane at 1.5mm and one lane controlled traffic at 34.79mm
- Benbow Drive Closed
- Berta Road flooded
- Briceland Thorn Road at
- China Creek Road–still passable but sliding in as of 2:30ish
- Huckleberry Hill 1 lane controlled traffic
- East side of Huckleberry Hill–Slide completely closed road -OPEN!
- Between Whitethorn Junction and Four Corners is seriously flooded.
- Coffee Creek Road closed
- Drake Hill Rd at PM 0.75 Closed for AT&T work thru the evening
- East Branch Road in Benbow one way controlled traffic
- Eel River Drive Closed at mile marker 1.
- Eel Rock Rd. – 1 Lane Controlled traffic at PM 2.7
- Ettersburg Road-Still open but has damage.
- Hidden Court closed
- Kimtu Road (west of Garberville) flooded
- Kings Peak road closed at mile marker 7
- Kneeland Road 1 way controlled traffic 1 mi south of Kneeland School
- Landergen Road closed
- Mattole Road
- Open now 3 miles west of Ferndale
- Mosswood Lane closed
- Myrtle Ave @ Ole Hansen Rd. Flooded
- Old Arcata Road between Graham and Jacoby Creek Flooded
- Old Briceland Road closed
- Port Kenyon closed
- Redwood Drive Closed from Dean Creek: BUT SLOW DOWN
- Redwood Drive by the Bluffs open but PLEASE SLOW DOWN. We don’t have enough county road workers as it is.
- Salmon Creek Road closed at 0.56mm detour 101 or Maple Hills Road
- Shively Road 1 lane controlled traffic at .5 mm, 3.56mm and 7.00mm and the below big blob of mud about the 7.1mm.
- Sprowl Creek Road near airport flooded–impassable by small cars
- Stagecoach Rd. – PM 1.00 Closed
- Wilder Ridge Road closed at Landergen Road indefinitely no alternate route. (See here for more details.) But some local heros opened the road for the postal service at the French Ranch.
Mendocino County Roads:
The Mendocino Voice has information here.
Trinity County Roads:
We have limited information but this is what we know.
- Van Duzen Road: Closed but Trinity County Dept of Transportation reports, “Van Duzen Road should reopen tomorrow afternoon. Weather and river dependent. but being undermined by the rising Van Duzen River.”