Road and Weather for Thursday
Temperatures plunged overnight bringing near record cold. According to the National Weather Service, it got down to 29 degrees on Woodley Island “which is only 1 degree shy of the record low of 28 F set back in 1890.” The weather folks expect sunny cold weather through tomorrow.
Icy conditions this morning have caused multiple traffic accidents. Please drive carefully. Below are what we know about the roads. We’ll update as more information comes in.
(Information from Caltrans’ Quick Map)
Hwy 3: Closed from 20 miles north of Trinity Center to 3 miles south of Callahan at Scott Mtn (Trinity, Siskiyou Counties) due to snow – winter weather conditions – motorists are advised to use an alternate route
Hwy 36: Carry chains
Hwy 96: Mostly clear
Hwy 101: Currently mostly clear. There are no chains required.
HWY 299: Closed at Big French Creek due to a slide.
Humboldt County Roads:
While many major highways are clear, county roads are struggling under the wintery conditions.UPDATED List as of 2:35 p.m. yesterday from Humboldt County Roads: They urge drivers to carry chains at or above 1000 feet. The roads are in alphabetical order.
- Bald Hills – open to mile post 14
- Coffee Creek – Closed from 2.0 mile post to Grizzly Bluff – flooding
- Fickle Hill – 2-wheel drive carry chains
- Horse Mtn/Titlow Hill – not plowed
- Ishi Pishi – not plowed
- Kneeland Road – plowed, 2-wheel drives carry chains
- Maple Creek – open: Here’s more details:
Full lane closure from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Friday, January 6, 2017, will occur on Maple Creek Road to remove debris from the recent slide.
If you have any concerns or questions, please contact Art Reeve, Deputy Director, Humboldt County Department of Public Works at 707-445-7421.
- McCann Road closed – flooding
- Old Three Creek – not plowed
- Pine Creek (Hoopa) – closed
- Port Kenyon – closed between Market and California Streets – Flooding
- Redcap Road – not plowed
- Redwood Valley – open
- Showers Pass – open to Kelly Road, closed south of Kelly
- Snow Camp Road – open, carry chains
- Titlow Hill – not plowed