On the First Day After Recreational Marijuana Was Voted Legal, Three Flown to Davis Hospital Following an Explosion in a BHO Lab
Beauchaine said that his department and the Rio Dell Fire Department were dispatched to a fire started by an explosion at 6:52 p.m. Two of the victims were located at the “garage-like structure” where the incident took place. “They were found by neighbors who helped them,” the sergeant said. At least one was being wet down with a hose while his clothes smoldered. A third was found two blocks away. The two that were found initially had burns over the vast majority of their bodies. The third, he said, had burns over approximately 40 to 60%.
“They were processing marijuana and butane is very combustible,” Beauchaine said. “I don’t know what the ignition source was but it ignited.” He explained that after an initial explosion, there were “several other smaller explosions.”
The structure burst into flames. “The [Rio Dell] Fire Department was able to knock it down within 20 minutes,” the sergeant said. “We have a great fire department.”Beauchaine and others including an investigator from the District Attorney’s Office have been at the scene. Hazmat will be coming to collect the large number of butane containers at the incident site.
The explosion occurred on the first day that voters passed a law legalizing recreational marijuana use. This is the very first BHO Lab explosion in Rio Dell that he knows of, Beauchaine stated.
Earlier Chapter: Structure Fire With Explosion and Injuries in Rio Dell