Gas Leak in Garberville Caused by Vandalism
Early this morning, occupants of the Humboldt House Inn in Garberville were awakened by a fire alarm. Many of them flooded into the parking lot. The smell of gas had alerted the staff to a problem. It was soon discovered that a regulator at the inn was broken.
“We got a call about 4:25 a.m.,” said Kirk Chaney, regional operations manager at Blue Star Gas. “Somebody had vandalized a regulator…Gas continued to spew. We were able to isolate and shut it down fairly quickly….by 4:35 a.m.”
Humboldt House Inn was the only property affected by the vandalism.
A new regulator was quickly installed. “The main time was spent relighting the hot water boilers,” Chaney explained. “These are commercial grade water heaters.” Hot water wasn’t restored until after 6 a.m., he said.