Butane Torch May Have Been Catalyst for Fire in HSU Dorms, According to University Police
A fire in a Humboldt State University residence hall was quickly extinguished on Sunday, Oct. 2.
University Police responded to a room in the Pepperwood Residence Hall around 11:20 p.m. on the report of a room fire. Orion Sage Parker, 21, a non-student and guest of a student resident, allegedly used a butane torch to light isopropyl alcohol that had been spilled onto the carpet.
An HSU community advisor was able to put out the fire with an extinguisher. Parker was arrested on suspicion of felony arson. No one was injured in the fire.
HSU reminds students not to cover smoke detectors in residence halls. For students who live off campus, make sure there is a working smoke detector in every room, and test the batteries twice per year. Know evacuation routes and meet up points.
To prevent fires, keep things like towels away from heat sources, avoid “daisy-chaining” electrical cords, and always keep an eye on candles and other sources of flame.