Fire Extinguishers Quench Fire in Arcata

Press release from Arcata Fire:

Arcata fire August 6, 2016Shortly before 4:00 P.M. on Saturday, Arcata Fire District responded to a reported structure fire in the 400 block of Bayside Road in Arcata.

The first arriving engine reported black smoke coming from the eaves of the two story apartment building, the fire crew assumed fire attack operations. Upon entry of the residence, fire crews discovered the fire had been extinguished by the resident using three dry chemical fire extinguishers.

The fire was caused by lightweight curtains coming in contact with a candle. The occupants stated they had returned to the room to find the curtain on fire. They immediately called 9-1-1 to report the fire and then grabbed the fire extinguisher under the sink and expelled it onto the fire. The occupant grabbed two other fire extinguishers that were on site and finally extinguished the fire. Fire crews removed the smoke from the apartment. Arcata fire August 6, 2016“Quick action on the occupant’s part and having extinguishers on site made for a great outcome for residents in the building,” stated Fire Chief Justin McDonald.

This incident could have had a much different outcome had it not been for the quick thinking of the occupants, states Fire Prevention Specialist, Jenny Williamson. Arcata Fire District encourages everyone to learn how to use a fire extinguisher. Check with your local fire departments for more information on fire extinguisher classes.



  • Always have more than one extinguisher, every time I have had to put one out, I was glad I had the second one to finish the job.

  • Honeydew Bridge Chump

    I once had a candle catch an Irish linen tablecloth on fire.
    You’d be shocked at how fast something like that can get out of hand.
    Haven’t used candles in over 30 years because of that day.
    Lots of candle/incense burning hippies get taken out of the game this way. These hippies got lucky and weren’t too stoned to fight their own fire.

    Get oil lamps for blackouts if you feel the need to set stuff on fire. The LED lanterns are way safer and can save hippie lives and property.

  • Fire extinguishers should be hung in plain sight on the inside and outside of every out-building as well as your house: by the wood stove and the kitchen stove. By the compost pile and in the pick-up are also handy places.
    The initial expense of $30+ apiece will be worth it, either by using them or having the peace of mind which comes from knowing you can. They also make great gifts for your neighbors. Think ahead. af

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *