Man suffers First Degree Burns During McKinleyville Fire

This is a press release from the Arcata Fire Department.

arcata fireApril 2, 2014) – At 6:39 PM, Arcata Fire District responded to a residential structure fire in the 2000 block of Walnut Avenue in McKinleyville. The first Arcata Fire crew on scene reported a propane tank on fire near the exterior of the garage.
According to witness statements, the tenant living at the residence was working inside the garage with a torch and propane tank. As he was working, the propane tank began to leak and the propane was ignited by the flame of the torch. The tenant attempted to smother the fire by covering the propane tank and then proceeded to carry the tank outside. During his attempt to smother the fire, the tenant suffered first and second degree burns to his face and hands. Once the burning propane tank was outside, a friend of the tenant tried to put out the fire with a nearby fire extinguisher. The tenant was transported to the hospital by another neighbor prior to the arrival of firefighters.
Arcata personnel were able to quickly turn off the propane tank and extinguish the fire. Once the fire was out, crews checked for any possible extension into the walls of the structure but no extension was found.
The medical status of the tenant is unknown at this time.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *