United Nations Forum Meets In Humboldt Co.
In what local activist, Druid Ozone says “… is the 10th annual UNITED NATIONS permanent forum on indigenous issues,” a meeting is being held held in Blue Lake Rancheria. According to the Seventh Generation Fund for Indian Development,
The North American Indigenous Peoples’ Caucus (NAIPC) is an international Indigenous Peoples’ preparatory meeting for the 10th Session of the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (UNPFII).
This two-day in depth working session is designed for tribal nation/First Nations’ leadership, community members, elders, youth, and organizations.
The purpose of the NAIPC is to bring together (U.S. and Canada) First Nations and …Native American Peoples and Tribal Nations in advance of the UNPFII to discuss critical issues, explore common ground, and establish a collective platform of action for our strategic work at the United Nations.
Discussion topics will include such items as:
– The Rights of Mother Earth
– Human Rights
– Free, prior and informed consent
– Indigenous Peoples and Forests
– Indigenous Peoples and Water
– Implementation of Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
– Reports from international meetings-the World Peoples’ Conference on Climate Change (Cochabama, Bolivia), Encuentro of the Eagle and Condor (Quito, Ecudaor), Convention on Biological Diversity (Nagoya, Japan), UN Framework Convention on Climate Change COP16 (Cancun, Mexico)
Photo from here.