Hwy 96 Closed in Siskiyou County
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) District 2 announces that a stretch of State Route 96 was CLOSED on Friday, December 13th, at approximately 4 miles west of Happy Camp in Siskiyou County and there is no estimated time for reopening. The slide is active due to current weather conditions and it had been under one-way traffic control prior to the latest road closure.
This is how it happened:
· The site at 4 miles west of Happy Camp has been under a slide emergency contract since last summer, with new slide activity this Fall due to weather conditions. The contractor is Roger Brown Construction.
· A boulder, debris and rocks fell down in November prompting road closures. The slide was closely monitored while crews cleared the road and traffic control operations were in place.
· Latest rock-falling activity began last night (Thursday, 12/12). Caltrans closed the road overnight and reopened this morning, under one-way traffic control.
· The road was closed again on Friday, 12/13 at approximately 12:51 PM, 4 miles west of Happy Camp due to a continuing active slide, with undetermined time of reopening.
· Another slide event took place around noon, blocking the road, approx. 18 miles west of Happy Camp. The blocked road was cleared at approx. 2:30PM –
· As mentioned above, the road is currently closed 4 miles west of Happy Camp with no estimated time for reopening.
· The affected area is 65 miles west of the SR96/I5 intersection. Access to internet and/or WIFI is extremely limited.
UPDATE 4:13 p.m.:
Recent slide activity captured by Caltrans’ Chad Ensminger at SR96 west of Happy Camp in Siskiyou County. These can happen at any time. Please remember the road is currently closed.@CHPNSac @RRSNF @Yrekanews @SeiadValley @SiskiyouSheriff @SeeSiskiyou @OregonDOT @KOBITV pic.twitter.com/eqhuZTy90i
— Caltrans District 2 (@CaltransD2) December 14, 2019