Six Rivers Offices Closed for Labor Day Holiday
This is a press release from the U.S. Forest Service:
EUREKA, Calif. – All Six Rivers National Forest offices will be closed on Monday, September 3, in observance of the Labor Day holiday. All offices will reopen on Tuesday, September 4: Gasquet, Lower Trinity and Orleans ranger district offices at 8AM, and Mad River at noon.
With a hint of fall in the air, this is the perfect time to visit the Six Rivers. However, Michael Green, acting forest supervisor, reminds everyone that the forest is still under fire restrictions. “While we encourage everyone to get out and enjoy the forest this holiday weekend, please make fire safety a priority,” said Green.
Before heading out on your weekend adventure, stop by your local Forest Service office for information about fire safety, current fire restrictions, and to pick up a free campfire permit at any of our offices or online at www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/. A few other reminders:
• All fireworks are prohibited on national forest lands. Regulations are strictly enforced to protect public and natural resources.
• Forest roads can be narrow and winding. Slow down and be on the lookout for road damage caused by last winter’s snow and rain.
• Our rivers are swift and some are quite cold. These conditions can prove fatal to even the most experienced swimmer. Please exercise good judgement and please wear a life jacket.
• All forest campgrounds are still open, although some will close in mid-September.
For more information about the forest, visit www.fs.usda.gov/srnf or contact the office nearest your destination for more information:
• Forest Supervisor’s Office, Eureka: (707) 442-1721
• Gasquet Ranger District/Smith River National Recreation Area, Gasquet: (707) 457-3131
• Orleans/Ukonom Ranger District, Orleans: (530) 627-3291
• Lower Trinity Ranger District, Willow Creek: (530) 629-2118
• Mad River Ranger District, Mad River: (707) 574-6233.