Mendocino Will Start Using Nixle for Emergency Alerts
This is a press release from the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office:
In response to citizen input, the County of Mendocino has now incorporated Nixle into our emergency notifications systems. As of [yesterday], anyone can sign up to receive emergency notifications using Nixle for events in Mendocino County.
“Our mission is to continue to improve our communication with the public and relay as much information to the public as possible in all emergency incidents. Nixie will definitely enhance our communications.” — Sheriff Tom Allman
Nixle will send out emergency information for any areas requested, regardless of residency. Users may request information in a single zip code, multiple zip codes or County-wide.
To register for Nixle, sign up online at https://local.nixle.com/reqister/ or, using your smartphone, text 888777 and enter “MendoAlerts” (without the quotation marks) to get all alerts throughout Mendocino County. For a specific zip code, text 888777 and enter the zip code. Please note that Nixle does not provide a voice notification/phone call and will only notify registered users via text message and/or email.
The County of Mendocino will continue to utilize a variety of methods to disseminate emergency notifications:
• Nixle This system notifies registered users via text message and/or email. Please refer to the registration information above.
• Mendocino Alert (MendoAlert) In addition to Nixle, this system allows the County of Mendocino to notify registered users in very specific geographic areas of incidents. In general, registered users will only receive a notification if they are in the affected area. This is the only system that will issue notifications via voice phone calls. Register online at https://www.mendocinocounty.or.q/MendoAlert.
• Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) Alerts will automatically pop up on your smartphone when you are physically located in the geographical area of the incident.
• Emergency Alert System (EAS) Emergency Alert System notifications are broadcast through the radio or television and will appear automatically.
• Social Media and Call Center Updated information can also be found via: • Facebook www.facebook.com/mendocinocountv or www.facebook.com/MendocinoSheriff • Twitter https:lltwitter.com/countvmendocino or www.twitter.com/MendoSheriff. • Instagram https://Www.instadram.com/countvofmendocino/
During larger emergencies the Call Center may be opened to answer citizen’s questions or concerns. This information will be shared via one of the above listed communication methods.
For more information, please contact the Mendocino County Executive Office at (707) 463-4441.