The Mendocino Complex: Still Burning Hot and Fast
Cal Fire reports, “Today fire personnel will continue to work on containment lines, fighting the fire directly when access and conditions permit along with building [contingency] lines ahead of the fire front.”
They are concerned with winds this afternoon causing spot fires to jump over lines.
For the latest on evacuations and road closures, check here.
The Plan:For the Ranch Fire, firefighters did a great job yesterday holding the fire at Hwy 20 (see the black containment lines along it on the Map section below). The fire is estimated to be at 59,014 acres with 15% containment. The containment is all to the southwest. The fire pushed hard to the northeast making a run towards Windy Ridge.
It also jumped over Dewell Road and firefighters will be working today to keep it north and west of Upper Lake.
This video posted by Cal Fire yesterday before the updated acreage shows the battle to save homes.
For the River Fire, like yesterday crews will try to keep the fire from extending east into Lakeport and Finley. Favorable winds pushing to the north helped them keep the flames from those towns before and they hope to keep that momentum. Firefighters will continue to try and keep the fire west and south of State Route 29. Evacuation orders have been lifted from Kelseyville and Finley.
Hot and dry again today but a little less so than they have been. Expect winds from the northwest, especially this afternoon and evening, according to Cal Fire. These are conditions that make it tough for firefighters to take control of the flames. However, an overnight slight rise in humidity should help again tonight as it did last night.
Hwy 20 and 175 are closed with no estimated time of reopening. Though with containment lines holding solid along 20, there is hope for reopening. Keep checking in for updates if you need to get through.
Many smaller roads are closed also. Check Cal Fire for the latest but be aware that conditions are changing fast on the frontlines.
- Ranch Operations Map –to see details either zoom or click on the map and download a pdf.
Redwoods Rural Health Center in Redway is a Pay It Forward donation center. Call and ask first what they are accepting.
- Mandatory Evacuations for River Fire 4000 Acres / Ranch Fire Grown to 1000 Acres
- Thousands Without Electricity in Lake and Mendocino County as Major Wildfires Rage
- Mendocino Complex Devours Almost 25,000 Acres (Maps, Photos)
- Hwy 20 Closed as Ranch Fire Runs Out of Control
- More Evacuations as Both Fires of the Mendocino Complex Plow Deeper Into Lake County
- The Two Fiery Claws of the Mendocino Complex Squeeze Clear Lake and Its Communities (Maps, Photos)
- Kelseyville and Finley Area Ordered to Immediately Evacuate as River Fire Rushes Southeast
- The Mendocino Complex: Nearly 75,000 Acres Burned, 12% Contained [Maps, Photos]