Two Years After the Hit and Run Deaths of Faith Tsarnas and Kiya Kitchen, Community Members Gather to Pray for Healing and Justice
Yesterday evening on the anniversary of the hit and run collision that left two teenage girls dead, about 100 people walked through Fortuna stopping and praying along the way. As the sun set, they gathered at the Park and Ride at the corner of Kenmar Road and Eel River Drive near where Faith Tsarnas and Kiya Kitchen who had been skateboarding were struck by a vehicle that sped off in the gathering dusk. The mother of Kiya Kitchen was later arrested and charged with their deaths.
Pastor Michael Delamarian III of the Hydesville Community Church attended by family members of the two girls conceived of the gathering. Many at the Remembrance Walk carried prayer cards that spoke of healing for the community, asked for “no further delays in the court proceedings” and asked for justice.”Members of the prayer walk had a moment of silence before people prayed aloud and spoke.
Several of those gathered shared that their faith was helping them and, hopefully, the community to heal.
Some also said that they had faith that justice would be served and that it was needed.
One attendee, Kathi Meskill, said the event was about coming together as a community. She explained, “I believe that the healing begins with the caring…People come together and they connect and the connection starts the healing.”
Pastor Delamarian urged everyone to hug three others. As people reached out and held one another, they passed on the sense of connection and caring.
A tearful Sharron Grover after the event told reporters that the gathering was “a wonderful remembrance.”
Grover, a friend of the Tsarnas family, said that Faith’s parents, “Mark and Stephanie want people to remember the girls and the joy that they brought to our lives and focus on that. Yes, they want justice but they’ll never get their girls back.”
Links to earlier stories:
- Hit and Run: Child Injured in Fortuna
- Two Teenage Girls Killed by Hit and Run Driver
- Witness May Have Seen Vehicle Fleeing Last Night’s Fatal Hit and Run
- Vehicle Involved in Hit and Run Death of Teens Found Near Home of Mother of One of the Teens
- CHP Confirms They’ve Recovered Vehicle Involved in Fatal Hit and Run at One of the Victim’s Residences
- Driver of Vehicle in Tuesday’s Hit and Run Has Contacted Law Enforcement
- A Candlelight Vigil for the Two Young Girls Tragically Killed in a Hit and Run Accident
- Grief Counseling Offered at Fortuna Middle School
- Good Progress’ Learning About Death of Fortuna Teens, Says CHP Spokesperson
- 911 Call Reporting the Hit and Run Which Left Two Girls Dead Last Week; Warning, This Is Graphic Audio
- CHP Asks For Help Finding Two Suspected in Hit and Run Deaths of Two Teenagers
- Suspect’s Attorneys Refute CHP’s Press Release
- Kiya Suzanne Kitchen: Full of Life and Love
- Friends Rally Round Joe Kitchen Whose Daughter Died in Fortuna Hit and Run Accident
- Marci Kitchen Arrested and Made Bail
- Sheriff’s Office Releases Booking Photo and Charges Against Marci Kitchen
- Woman Accused of Killing Her Daughter and Her Daughter’s Friend in DUI Collision Files Claim Against Fortuna for Damages
- Father and Brother of Victim of Fortuna Hit and Run Drop Claim Against City, etc.
- After Surrendering Passport on Monday, Marci Kitchen Approved to Leave State
- ‘Enough’s Enough,’ Joe Kitchen Calls for Community to Pack Courtroom Tomorrow
- A Prayer Walk in Remembrance at the Two Year Anniversary of the Collision Which Killed Faith Tsarnas and Kiya Kitchen