A Prayer Walk in Remembrance at the Two Year Anniversary of the Collision Which Killed Faith Tsarnas and Kiya Kitchen
On Thursday, a prayer walk is planned in Fortuna for two young girls who died after being struck by a hit and run driver. Two years earlier, Kiya Kitchen and Faith Tsarnas, both aged 14, went for a walk in Fortuna near Kiya’s home. About 9:15 p.m., they were struck and killed by a hit and run driver.
The vehicle, believed to be a Jeep, fled south. A witness arrived at the accident and called 911 very soon after the accident.
Faith Tsarnas died at the scene and Kiya Kitchen died after being flown to the Oakland Children’s Hospital for treatment.
The next day the suspect vehicle, a grey 2015 Jeep Wrangler, was found at the residence of one of the victim’s mothers not far from the scene of the crime. Eventually, Kiya’s mother, Marci Kitchen, was arrested for Vehicular Manslaughter While Intoxicated.
The community has been traumatized by the two young girls’ deaths said the Secretary of the Hydesville Church, Kathi Meskill. She explained that in response Pastor Mike Delamarian came up with the idea of a prayer walk to remember the girls and to help the community.
“Faith’s parents, her mom and her stepdad, attended Hydesville Church,” Meskill said. “We had Faith’s memorial at the church…Kiya was a granddaughter of one of our church members. We are supporting the family of those who lost their loved ones.”
She added, “They have gone through a lot. Two years is a long time without closure…We have to reach out to God in times like these and come together as a whole.”
The Remembrance Prayer walk will start in three different places where members of the church will be waiting to lead those wishing to participate. Meskill explained, “We are doing it on the anniversary of [Faith and Kiya’s] passing….We are going to stop at other places along the way so we can pray over the city of Fortuna. …It is just to bring everyone together…When you pray, it gives people peace. ”
Each of the three routes will lead to a spot near where the girls were hit. “[We will] all get to the Park and Ride and do one whole big prayer for the families and the city,” she said. The idea, she explained, is ‘to pray over our city and bring to light that we need to pull together as a community.”
Meskill said that everyone is invited. “We texted and sent out flyers to other churches,” she explained. “I would hope that people who were close to the girls would show up. Some people don’t have closure.”
Everyone is urged to carpool as much as possible. Meskill suggests bringing two cars and dropping one off at the Park and Ride and taking one to the beginning of the walk.
“We really really want people to carpool,” she said.
Meskill says she hopes the Remembrance walk helps ease the pain for those who are hurting. “We are hoping as a community to heal some,” she said.
Links to earlier stories:
- Hit and Run: Child Injured in Fortuna
- Two Teenage Girls Killed by Hit and Run Driver
- Witness May Have Seen Vehicle Fleeing Last Night’s Fatal Hit and Run
- Vehicle Involved in Hit and Run Death of Teens Found Near Home of Mother of One of the Teens
- CHP Confirms They’ve Recovered Vehicle Involved in Fatal Hit and Run at One of the Victim’s Residences
- Driver of Vehicle in Tuesday’s Hit and Run Has Contacted Law Enforcement
- A Candlelight Vigil for the Two Young Girls Tragically Killed in a Hit and Run Accident
- Grief Counseling Offered at Fortuna Middle School
- Good Progress’ Learning About Death of Fortuna Teens, Says CHP Spokesperson
- 911 Call Reporting the Hit and Run Which Left Two Girls Dead Last Week; Warning, This Is Graphic Audio
- CHP Asks For Help Finding Two Suspected in Hit and Run Deaths of Two Teenagers
- Suspect’s Attorneys Refute CHP’s Press Release
- Kiya Suzanne Kitchen: Full of Life and Love
- Friends Rally Round Joe Kitchen Whose Daughter Died in Fortuna Hit and Run Accident
- Marci Kitchen Arrested and Made Bail
- Sheriff’s Office Releases Booking Photo and Charges Against Marci Kitchen
- Woman Accused of Killing Her Daughter and Her Daughter’s Friend in DUI Collision Files Claim Against Fortuna for Damages
- Father and Brother of Victim of Fortuna Hit and Run Drop Claim Against City, etc.
- After Surrendering Passport on Monday, Marci Kitchen Approved to Leave State
- ‘Enough’s Enough,’ Joe Kitchen Calls for Community to Pack Courtroom Tomorrow