Six Rivers National Forest Offices Will Be Closed on Monday, May 28 (Also Camping Advice)
All Six Rivers National Forest offices will be closed on Monday, May 28, in observance of the Memorial Day holiday. All offices will resume normal operating hours on Tuesday, May 29.
“We encourage everyone to get out and enjoy their national forest this holiday weekend,” said Stew Richter, acting deputy forest supervisor. He added, “We also want to remind folks that we’re headed into the warmer, drier time of year when we are at a higher risk for wildfires, so please be safe and make fire safety a priority.”
Before heading out on your weekend adventure, stop by your local Forest Service office for information about fire safety, current fire restrictions, and to pick up a free campfire permit at any of our offices or online at www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/. A few other safety reminders:
- All fireworks are prohibited on national forest lands. Regulations are strictly enforced to protect public and natural resources.
- Forest roads can be narrow and winding. Slow down and be on the lookout for road damage caused by last winter’s snow and rain.
- Warmer weather also means melting snow that leads to swift, very cold water in our rivers. These conditions can prove fatal to even the most experienced swimmer. Please exercise good judgement and please wear a life jacket.
- Only Pearch Creek and Oak Bottom campgrounds will have potable water. For camping in other Six Rivers’ campground, campers should bring plenty of water for drinking, cooking and cleaning, as well as extinguishing any campfires.
For more information about the forest, visit www.fs.usda.gov/srnf or contact the office nearest your destination for more information:
- Forest Supervisor’s Office, Eureka: (707) 442-1721
- Gasquet Ranger District/Smith River National Recreation Area, Gasquet: (707) 457-3131
- Orleans/Ukonom Ranger District, Orleans: (530) 627-3291
- Lower Trinity Ranger District, Willow Creek: (530) 629-2118
- Mad River Ranger District, Mad River: (707) 574-6233.