Trinidad Civic Club Holding 23rd Annual Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse Ceremony on Sunday
This is a press release from the Trinidad Civic Club:
The 23rd Annual Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse Ceremony will commence on Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 2 p.m. at the historic Memorial Lighthouse site on the corner of Edwards and Trinity Streets. The ceremony honors those who have been lost or buried at sea, and whose names are engraved on the memorial plaques.
The program begins with bagpipe music by Matthew Marshall, followed by the flag ceremony and pledge of allegiance led by McKinleyville Boy Scout Troop 99 and Girl Scouts from Redwood Service Unit. Dana Hope, Trinidad Civic Club President will preside over the ceremony and will welcome guests. The Reverend Lesley McCloghrie, Priest Associate, from Saints Martha and Mary Episcopal Mission in Trinidad will give the invocation and Vocalist Claire Bent will sing “Amazing Grace” and “Aloha ‘Oe.” Special Guest, Captain Gregory Fuller, Commander, Coast Guard Sector Humboldt Bay will address the audience and a poem by Robert Louis Stevenson titled “The Light Keeper” will be read. Trinidad Mayor, Susan Rotwein, will ring the Trinidad Head Lighthouse keeper’s cottage bell. Janine Volkmar, Recording Secretary will read the 244 memorial names, followed by a USCG helicopter flyover. Saxophonist Matthew Brogdon will play “Taps” to close the ceremony. The program is approximately 35 minutes in length.
Wreaths created by the Trinidad Civic Club Wreath Committee with flowers compliments of Sun Valley Floral Farms. Sound by Dj-Kev. Filmography by McIntire Film Productions. Programs by Jason Richie. Photography by Jackie Tidwell.
There is no seating at the site. The ceremony takes place rain or shine.
The Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse was built by the Trinidad Civic Club as a replica of the 1871 Trinidad Head Lighthouse and was dedicated at the historic location on June 26th, 1949. The land was donated by Earl and Neva Hallmark to house the 1871 Fourth Order Fresnel oil lantern, the last coal-oil burning revolving light retired from use on the Pacific Coast, which was previously housed in the Trinidad Head Lighthouse. The United States Coast Guard placed this lens in the Memorial Lighthouse when an electric lens was installed in the original Lighthouse in 1947. The 1942 Fifth Order Fresnel Electric lens has been on permanent loan to the Trinidad Museum since 2013, when an LED lens was installed at the Trinidad Head Lighthouse. The LED lens is observable 20 miles out to sea.
The 4,000 pound 1898 bronze fog bell was placed at the historic Memorial Lighthouse site in 1949, previously it too was located on Trinidad Head. This occurred when the fog warning system on Trinidad Head became automated. Both the Memorial Lighthouse and the Historic Bell are presently located at the Trinidad Harbor on property owned by the Cher-Ae Heights Indian Community of the Trinidad Rancheria.
For information on the event, call Trinidad Town Hall (707) 677-0223 or go to: https://www.facebook.com/trindadcivicclub.org/ to access Trinidad Civic Club website or https://sites.google.com/trinidadcivicclub.org/trinidadcivicclub