Commenting Rules on Redheaded Blackbelt
All civilized organizations or groups have guidelines to encourage productive interactions and discourage unproductive ones. The following are designed to promote civil discussion.
Here is our periodic reminder of the guidelines used to govern commenting on this website:
- Civility is valued by the moderator.
- Insulting other commenters will get you deleted. Do it too often and you will get banned.
- No slurs–racial, ethnic, gender, political etc. Also, stop calling local places by sneering nicknames, etc. Genuine complaints/opinions okay. Sneers are not okay.
- Try to add value to the website by offering information, art, humor or, most of all, thoughtful discussion.
- Free speech is valued by the moderator and sometimes that trumps civility but don’t push it.
- Also, grammar, punctuation, spelling criticisms should come from parents, teachers, and bosses not anonymous people on the internet. If you can understand what someone says, refrain from telling them how to edit their comments. The one exception to this is me. If I make an error, politely pointing it out is fine.
- Mocking people in positions of authority is acceptable. Mocking children, disabled people, those suffering from misfortune, those in a minority who don’t have power is something a bully does.
- Don’t threaten or encourage violence.
- If there is significant evidence (for instance, being charged by law enforcement) that a crime occurred, I allow accusations of wrongdoing. However, please don’t accuse someone by name of a crime when there is no evidence readily available to a reasonable reader.
Here’s a quick explanation of how commenting works here. Most people after the first comment are free to comment without moderation. Some people who have trouble following the guidelines above get put on moderation hold. It can sometimes take as long as a whole day for me to moderate—though it usually takes less than an hour if the comment comes in during the day.
If you see a comment that you feel breaks these guidelines, use my name in a reply to the comment and say something like “Kym, this looks racist.” Or “Kym, this is an insult.” It might take me a full day but usually, I will see and moderate within an hour or so.