[UPDATE 6 p.m.] Searchers on the Thottapilly Crash Scene in Major Injury Accident
Press release from the California Highway Patrol:
UPDATE 6 p.m.: Thottapilly Car Pulled Up to Roadside
On 04/15/2018, at approximately 1847 hours, Clayton Chaney, of Redding, CA was driving his 1999 Toyota Tacoma pickup southbound on US-101 south of Leggett, CA at an unknown rate of speed. For unknown reasons, Chaney allowed his Toyota to leave the west road edge of US-101 and travel onto the dirt/grass embankment.
Chaney attempted to correct the path of the Toyota, however, the Toyota began to slide in a counter clockwise manner. The passenger side of the Toyota impacted a guardrail and the Toyota rolled over onto it’s top.
Both Chaney and his passenger, Robert Talbott, of Corning, CA had to be extricated by fire personnel. Both were transported to Howard Memorial Hospital with major injuries.
Both Chaney and Talbott are members of the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue team and were in the area on assignment.
Alcohol and/or drugs do not appear to be factor in this collision. The California Highway Patrol is investigating this collision.
Earlier Chapter in the searchers from Shasta accident: Weather Forces Air Ambulances to Decline Response to Serious Accident on 101 South of Leggett
Earlier Chapters in the Thottapilly accident:
- Vehicle Upside Down in Water by Confusion Hill on 101
- Rescuers Unable to Recover Occupant(s) or Vehicle After It Plunged Into Eel River
- CHP Searched Sunday for Vehicle and Occupant(s) That Disappeared Into the Eel on Friday
- River Still Hasn’t Dropped Enough to Locate Vehicle That Was Swallowed Last Friday
- Dive Teams Sought for Missing People in the Hart Accident off Hwy 1 and the Missing Vehicle That Was Swallowed by the Eel River on Friday
- Multiple Agencies Searching for Vehicle Swallowed by Eel River
- Witness Tells of Vehicle Tipping Onto Two Wheels and Tumbling Over the Bank Into the Eel River Near Confusion Hill North of Leggett; Searchers Scour the River Tuesday
- Motorized Boat and Helicopter Join the Search for Vehicle Submerged in the Eel River
- Relatives of Missing Thottapilly Family Identify Items Found at Eel River Crash Site
- Searchers Believe They Have Found Body of One of the Missing Thottapilly Family
- Searchers Believe They Have Located Thottapilly Vehicle; Recovery Efforts Underway
- Bodies of Father and Daughter Recovered With Thottapilly Vehicle