Suspected Murderer Zach Harrison Still on the Loose; Netflix Film Crew in the Area Trying to Capture the Incident
“[W]e did not catch Harrison last night unfortunately,” said Samantha Karges, spokesperson for the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Department. “[U]nless someone was harboring him in their home last night, I imagine he was dangerously cold.”
Although a Sheriff’s deputy was able to actually speak to Harrison about 6 p.m., the 27-year-old suspected murderer escaped into the brush and disappeared.
On Wednesday, an alert citizen spotted Harrison in Miranda getting gas. Law enforcement soon located him driving a stolen vehicle on Elk Creek Road and gave chase. Harrison abandoned his car and fled on foot. In spite of an extensive search and residents of the area receiving reverse 911 calls warning them to stay inside, he managed to escape.
Yesterday, the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Department showed up in Alderpoint at a property Harrison was known to frequent. After recieving a tip that he was in the 100 block of 6th Street, they flushed Harrison from his hiding spot and chased him down the street until he leaped into the high and muddy Eel River and swam across.
A helicopter, a plane, jet skis, and a boat were used to search for the suspect and, for a time it was feared that he might have drowned but, according to Karges, “[A]round 6 pm one of our deputies observed Harrison across the river and our deputy attempted to talk with him.” Karges said she doesn’t know what the two said. She explained that eventually, “Harrison took off into the nearby brush before we were able to reach him by jet ski. We deployed a boat and transported units across the river to search for him.”
Local residents aided in the search. A Netflix film crew that has been in Humboldt traveled out to the remote town when hearing of the pursuit and began filming the efforts.
After hours of not locating the suspect, the Sheriff’s Department left the scene early this morning. Karges said, “Our units cleared the area around 1:30 am.”
Karges asked people to “keep sending in tips when they see him. They have been very helpful and accurate.”
- Humboldt County Sheriff’s Deputies Search for Murder Suspect
- Victim Named in This Weekend’s Alderpoint Homicide
- Helicopter and K-9 With Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office in Alderpoint Looking for Homicide Suspect
- Robert Holtsclaw: In Memoriam of This Weekend’s Shooting Victim
- Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office Once Again Scoured the Area Near Alderpoint Looking for the Suspect in Last Weekend’s Fatal Shooting
- SoHum Man Sought in Shooting Death Believed to Be Armed and Dangerous
- A Reminder: Humboldt County Sheriff’s Department Still Seeking Suspect in Alderpoint Homicide
- After Being Spotted in Miranda, Murder Suspect, Zach Harrison Fled Into the Brush off Elk Creek Road; Residents Warned With Reverse 911
- Zach Harrison, Murder Suspect, Jumped in Eel River; Helicopter and Plane Brought in to Search