Arcata Resident Receives Burns in Early Morning Structure Fire

Structure FirePress release from Arcata Fire District:

At 11:55 PM Arcata Fire District responded to a residential structure fire at 1630 Charles Street, Arcata. Initial units on scene reported heavy fire from a front window and significant heat and smoke throughout the residence. Both residents were reported out of the house and safe with neighbors. The fire was controlled within ten minutes with overhaul and investigation lasting over two hours.

One resident who suffered smoke inhalation and burns to her hands and feet was transported to St Joseph’s Hospital and is in stable condition. Initial investigation indicates the resident fell, knocking over an essentials oils votive candle igniting the fire. She attempted to control the fire but was unable. A second resident was awakened by the smoke alarm. Both residents then exited the residence.

Arcata Fire District responded three engines, one Battalion Chief and the Volunteer Logistics unit for 14 personnel. Other agencies on scene were Arcata Police and the Blue Lake Fire District. Humboldt Bay Fire and the Fieldbrook Volunteer Fire Department provided district coverage while Arcata units were committed to the fire. Damage to the structure and contents is estimated at $92,000

Arcata Firefighters were able to present a SAVE card to the victims of this fire. SAVE is a program of the California Fire Foundation that provides immediate short-term relief via a $100 gift card to victims of fire or other natural disaster. Additionally, The American Red Cross assisted in providing emergency lodging to the residents.

Arcata Fire District would like to remind everyone that having a working smoke alarm in your home can make the difference when seconds matter.



  • After my best friend lost her home no candles ever

    Oh man, my family and gift givers look at me cock-eyed when I proclaim my home is open-flame free , no candles or essential oil melting pots. Ever. It’s extreme and semi rigid but if things goes wrong with them the consequences are so dangerous and traumatic .

  • Honeydew Bridge C.H.U.M.P.

    Candles are always bad news, many fires are started by them.

    Lots of dope smokers burn candles and should be careful not to pass out from your weed with a candle burning.

    Also don’t smoke your weed in bed it’s possible you’ll pass out and set the mattress on fire.

    You weed smokers need to change your smoke detector batteries monthly, doing it twice a year you’ll prolly forget, so just get in the habit of doing it on the first of every month.

    Learn not to burn, people.

    • Honey Chump you left out junkies that nod out with lit cigarettes, which is more likely than a lit joint of the ever so evil “devil’s lettuce.” Just sayin’. I moved into a rental in Redway that several long burn marks in the flooring, obviously from burning a cigarette.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *