Family Dog Alerts Residents to Fire
At 6:26 AM this morning, Humboldt Bay Fire responded to a call for a Structure Fire in the 4100 block of Little Fairfield Street in Eureka. As the first arriving Fire Engine pulled up to the single-family home, they observed light smoke coming from the front door with a female resident on the front lawn suffering from mild smoke inhalation.
Firefighters geared up to attack the fire and made entry into the home. Once inside, they encountered a male resident in the kitchen attempting to extinguish a small fire on the stove. Firefighters escorted the male resident to safety, finished extinguishing the fire, and checked to ensure the fire had not spread into the attic.
After a quick knockdown of the fire, fire crews observed that the home had no working smoke detectors. The resident stated he had been cooking food on the stove that morning and fallen asleep. The next thing he remembered was being awakened by the family dog and seeing smoke in the house. Both residents of the home suffered from mild smoke inhalation but denied the need for additional medical attention. If not for the family dog alerting the residents, this incident could have had a much different outcome. Damage to personal belongings and the home are estimated to be $5000.
Humboldt Bay Fire would like to remind you that smoke detectors that are properly installed and maintained play a vital role in saving lives. If there is a fire in your home, smoke spreads fast and you need smoke detectors to give you time to get out.