Fire in Attic of Pigeon Point Home Tonight
Press release from Humboldt Bay Fire:
At 7:17 PM. this evening, Humboldt Bay Fire responded to a structure fire in a single story residence with three engines, one squad and two chief officers. The first arriving unit found smoke coming from the attic. Arriving crews located and extinguished the fire that was found in the attic as well as protecting belongings with salvage covers in the living area. The fire was confined to roof and attic and was contained within twenty minutes. Crews remained on scene for one and a half hours.
Residents of the structure were home at the time of the fire and made it outside to safety.
The cause of the fire was found to be a defect in the brick chimney that allowed hot smoke and embers into the attic space.
Arcata Fire Protection District provided station coverage for Humboldt Bay during the fire.
Fifteen Firefighters responded to control the fire with no injuries reported.
Humboldt Bay Fire recommends regular chimney inspections and cleaning of all chimneys especially now that the weather is cooler. [The Fire occurred in the 2900 block of Pigeon Point in Eureka.]