[UPDATE: Families With 4th Graders Can Get Trees Free] Forest Service Offering Christmas Tree Permits Starting Today

This is a press release from the U.S. Forest Service:

Christmas Tree hunting with

Christmas Tree hunting. [Photo by Kevin Church]

Six Rivers National Forest Supervisor Merv George Jr. has announced that Christmas tree permits will be available for purchase from all forest offices November 1 through December 22. Christmas tree permits may also be purchased by mail. “This is a great opportunity to get out and enjoy your local national forest and create a new family tradition at the same time,” said George.

Anyone who purchases a $10 Christmas tree permit will receive a tag that must be signed and attached to their cut tree. There is a limit of two tags per household; however, one person may purchase up to five tags. Separate names and addresses must be provided for each additional tag. Trees may be cut and removed any day of the week. Individuals must be 18 or older to purchase a permit. The Forest Service accepts cash, check, or credit/debit cards as payment. All sales are final with no refunds.

Fourth graders, who participate in the Every Kid in a Park program, are eligible for a free Christmas tree permit. The Every Kid in a Park program is a White House initiative that introduces fourth graders to the public lands in their own backyards and beyond. To receive a free Christmas tree permit, fourth graders or their teachers need to sign up for the program at www.everykidinapark.gov to complete the application process, and then download and print their pass. They must bring their pass—and their parents—to any Six Rivers National Forest office to receive their free Christmas tree permit.

Forest offices and the Del Norte County Chamber of Commerce will be open for permit sales as follows:

Forest Office Location Hours Phone Number
Supervisor’s Office 1330 Bayshore Way
Eureka, CA  95501
Monday to Wednesday: 8AM to 4:30PM


Thursday and Friday: 8AM to 6:30PM

(707) 442-1721
Smith River National Recreation Area/Gasquet Ranger District


Del Norte County Chamber of Commerce

10600 Highway 199
Gasquet, CA  95543 

1001 Front Street
Crescent City, CA 95531

Monday to Friday: 8AM to 4:30PM




Tuesday to Saturday: 10AM to 4PM

(707) 457-3131




(707) 464-3174


Ranger District

Highway 96

Orleans, CA  95556

Monday to Friday: 8AM to 4:30PM (530) 627-3291
Lower Trinity Ranger District 580 Highway 96

Willow Creek, CA  95573

Monday to Friday: 8AM to 4:30PM (530) 629-2118
Mad River Ranger District 741 Highway 36

Bridgeville, CA  95526

Monday to Friday: 8AM to 4:30PM (707) 574-6233

Forest offices are also open select Saturdays and Sundays in November and December. For specific dates and times, contact the offices at the numbers listed above. All offices will be closed Friday, November 10 and Thursday, November 23 in observance of Veteran’s Day and Thanksgiving.

To purchase a Christmas tree permit by mail, include the following information with the request: (1) name, (2) address to mail permit, (3) daytime telephone number, (4) driver’s license number, and (5) check or money order for $10 per permit payable to USDA Forest Service. Mail to Six Rivers National Forest, 1330 Bayshore Way, Eureka, CA  95501. Please write Christmas Tree Permit on the outside of the envelope, and allow one week for processing your request. Mail-in requests received after December 13 will not be filled. To help with your request, a form is available to download, print and mail at www.fs.usda.gov/main/srnf/passes-permits/forestproducts.

To ensure your visit to the forest is an enjoyable and safe experience, please follow these important tips:

•       Let someone know your location and estimated return time.

•       Bring cold weather clothing, even if the day is nice when you start out.

•       Bring emergency food and water, first-aid kit, tire chains, and shovel.

•       Have a full tank of gas in your vehicle.

•       Remember to take your tag and a map with you to your forest location.

Christmas Tree permits


Do you have a 4th grader in your family? Did you know they qualify for a free pass for National Forests, Parks, and other federal lands? It’s called the “Every Kid in a Park” Pass! Visit the website below for more information. Also, those with a “EKIP” pass can get a free Christmas Tree Permit! Your 4th grader with their pass must be present when you purchase your permit. https://www.everykidinapark.gov/



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *