[Update] Local Businesses Gathering Food Donations for Victims of North Bay Fires in Mendocino, Sonoma Counties
From Advanced Security Systems:
Beginning, Friday, Oct. 13, donations will be accepted at the following locations:
- Advanced Security Systems, 1336 4th Street, Eureka
- Danco Builders, 5251 Ericson Way, Arcata
- Humboldt Fence Co., 564 HWY 36, Fortuna.
- Pacific Motor Sports, 4001 Broadway, Eureka
- Saint Bernard’s Academy, 222 Dollison St, Eureka
Eureka, Calif.–St. Bernard’s Academy, partnering with local businesses, is gathering food for victims of the North Bay fires in Mendocino and Sonoma counties.
The plan is to deliver several rounds of supplies. “First, we’re gathering the most urgent necessities, which are non-perishable foods,” says Chuck Petrusha, CEO and President of Advanced Security Systems. The food will be delivered to the Redwood Empire Food Bank and the Salvation Army Santa Rosa Corps.
According to the food bank, the most needed donations include ready-to-eat, non-perishable foods, and case lot only. Loose packages of food cannot be accepted at this time. These foods should be easy to open and easy to eat–many shelters do not have kitchens for heating and preparing food. Those donating are urged to not bring glass containers.
Non-perishable, ready-to-eat foods include breakfast bars, protein bars, applesauce, fruit cups, peanut butter, jelly or jam, unopened dry cereal, canned juices, dried fruit, and more.
For more information about the donation effort, or to arrange drop-off of supplies, contact Advanced Security Systems at 707-443-6366.
Update 10:42 p.m.: Here are a few other places that are accepting donations:
- FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers DRCs https://www.disasterassistance.gov/ For more information about this program, click this: https://www.gov.ca.gov/news.php?id=20023
- Applications for help and places to donate https://www.ncoinc.org/
- Donate at the Redwood Credit Union North Bay Fire Relief Fund. “100% of your tax-deductible donations will go directly to support those affected. When you donate, you can choose to support any of the four counties affected: Sonoma, Napa, Mendocino, or Lake. You may also designate “all” and your funds will be equally distributed among all four counties. ” https://www.redwoodcu.org/
- Or check out Pay It Forward Humboldt: https://www.facebook.com/payitforwardhumboldt/
- Redwood Valley Grange at 8650 East Road is open from 10-6 daily. “We have meals, coffee, childcare, applications for local gift cards for things like groceries and gas, representatives from NCO helping fill out assistance applications. Right now there are massage therapists [offering] free massage.”