Trimmers Charged With Murdering Laytonville Grower in Court Together; Garberville Man Charged With Using Knife in the Attack
A Garberville man, Gary Blank III, along with another man, Michael Kane, has been charged with wielding a knife in the death of Jeffery Settler, a marijuana grower who lived near Laytonville. April 24th was the first time these two and their five co-defendants have all appeared in court together.
A man from Arcata, Gary Fitzgerald, and four other non-locals–Zachary Ryan Wuester, Abdirahman “Richie” Mohamed, Jesse Wells, and Frederick Gaestel—were also arrested or turned themselves in one by one as co-defendants.The seven men, former employees of Settler, have all been charged with his murder on November 11.
According to the Santa Rosa Press Democrat,
Some of the suspects had been evicted from the property days before the killing and there may have been a dispute over payment, authorities have said.
All the suspects fled the crime scene, taking with them a woman, initially thought to be a suspect, and her child.
They were later released.
For more on the story, follow the link to the Press Democrat above and this one to the Mendocino Voice. Each has information the other doesn’t.
- Homicide, Robbery and Possible Abduction of a Woman and Child Near Laytonville Today
- Woman and Child Sought in Connection With Mendocino Homicide Reported to Be in Bay Area
- Trimmers Sought as Suspects in Laytonville Area Homicide
- One of the Trimmers Wanted for Laytonville Area Homicide Arrested
- One Surrendered Yesterday in Laytonville Homicide; One of the Suspects Has Ties to Southern Humboldt
- Arcata Man Arrested in Connection With the Laytonville Trimmer Homicide Case
- Another Suspect in the Laytonville Homicide Arrested
- Fugitive Suspect in Laytonville Homicide Surrenders to US Officials at Mexico Border Where He’d Been Hiding
- Another Suspect in the Killing of Laytonville Grower Arrested
- Another Trimmer Arrested in the Homicide of Laytonville Grower
- Final Suspect in Laytonville Grower Homicide Arrested