[UPDATE 8:47 p.m.] Showery Sunday: Weather and Roads
Today, through tomorrow morning expect showers with snow in the mountains. Below is a graphic video showing the predicted precipitation for the area from the National Weather Service in Eureka. Green are expected to be areas of rain. Blue to be areas of snow.
Mountain passes are predicted to be impacted by snow. According to the Weather Service these are the major highways that will be impacted:
Hwy 199 near Collier Tunnel, Hwy 299 at Lord Ellis and Berry Summits, Bald Hills Road, light snow possible on Prairie Creek Summit on Hwy 101 and along highway 96.
The roads, continue to be a mess from the prior storms. Here is what we know at this point. As more information comes in, we’ll update in blue.
- Hwy 1: Closed in both direction just west of Leggett. (See here for more info.) No estimated time of reopening as of February 24.
- Hwy 3: Open
- Hwy 20: Open to one way traffic. Expect some short delays. (Note: Hwy 16 is blocked)
- Hwy 36: At the Junction with State Route 3, Caltrans says, “Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.”
- Hwy 96:
- According to Caltrans, “SR 96 is reduced to one lane with traffic control at Cade Mountain (Siskiyou CO) due to a slip-out. Motorists should expect delay. Conditions subject to change.”
- “State Route 96 reduced to one lane with traffic control 2 miles east of Scott River Road (Siskiyou County) due to a slipout. Motorists should expect delays,” according to Caltrans.
- Hwy 101:
- Traffic delays on 101 north of Weott.
- Hwy 169: Open (One lane blocked.)
- Hwy 199: Open but snowy by the Collier Tunnel and north.
- Hwy 211: Open (Check out the Fernbridge live cam)
- Hwy 254 (Avenue of the Giants):
- Closed from Holmes Flat to Barkdull Road.
- Hwy 255: Open
- Hwy 271: Open
- Berry Summit is clear of snow.
- The large slide at Big French Creek is still blocking east/west travel. Caltrans tweeted, “As of Friday, Feb 24: SR 299 is open at 10 am, 12 noon, 2 pm; scheduled for the 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm but check later as it is weather dependent.” Normal Schedule below.
Daily schedule (weekdays and weekends) as follows:
Morning: 5:30 am to 7:30 am
Single Opening: 10:00 am
Single Opening: 12:00 noon
Single Opening: 02:00 pm
Afternoon: 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm
Overnight: 6:30 pm to 5:30 am with 1-hour delays.
Humboldt County Roads:
Here’s what we know. As we learn details, we will add the information below. According to Humboldt County Public Works, “Driving on county roads during stormy periods, DRIVE SLOWLY and CAUTIOUSLY due to landslides, road failures and deep potholes. When in higher elevations, CARRY CHAINS.”
- Alderpoint Road 1 way controlled traffic at PM 10.68, PM
17.70, PM 26.00, PM 30.33 and PM 34.79
- Bair Road 1 lane at PM 0.72 and PM 1.30
- Benbow Drive Closed
- Blue Slide Road 1 lane at PM 1.75 and 3.25
- Briceland Thorn Rd PM 3.27 – one way traffic with bridge and signal
- Butler Valley Road 1 lane at PM 3.71
- Cannibal Island Road-Closed from Cock Robin to Crab Park
- China Creek missing a chunk but still passable.
- Coffee Creek Rd. Closed
- Davison Road “closed and thus no car access to Gold Bluffs Beach or Fern Canyon,” reports Redwood National Park.
- Dyerville Loop Road 1 lane at PM 2.00
- East Branch Road in Benbow one way controlled traffic at 2.7 mm.
- Eel River Drive closed at mile marker 1.
- Eel Rock Rd. – 1 Lane controlled traffic at PM 2.7
- Fort Seward Road 1 lane at PM 3.90
- Fullmore Road closed
- Hidden Court closed
- Howard Heights Road flooded
- Howland Hill Rd closed (See here fr more information.)
- Jack Shaw Road closed at PM 1.3
- Kings Peak Road closed at mile marker 7
- Landergen Road closed
- Lower Cappell Rd. at PM 1.49 open but road is soft and motorist must proceed with caution.
- Mattole Rd one-way control at various locations
- Meridian between Port Kenyon and Centerville Closed
- Mosswood Lane closed
- Needle Rock Road closed due to slide (See more here.)
- Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway closed after large falling tree put a hole in the road. No estimated time of reopening. (See here for more information.)
- Nunnemaker Road at Eel Rock Road is closed
- Port Kenyon closed
- Red Cap Road slipout at PM 2.30 road is open proceed with caution
- Salmon Creek Road closed at 0.56mm detour 101 or Maple Hills Road
- Shelter Cove Road 1 lane at PM 7.60
- Shively Road 1 lane controlled traffic at PM 0.50, PM 3.56, PM 7.00 and PM 11.50
- Stagecoach Rd. – PM 1.00 Closed
- Stover Road slide at PM 0.72 proceed with caution
- Telegraph Creek Road 1 lane at PM 1.90
- Wilder Ridge Road closed at Landergen Road indefinitely no alternate route.
Trinity County Roads:
- “Trinity Alps Road past Trinity Alps Resort accessing Stuarts Fork Trailhead has washed out. Road is CLOSED indefinitely,” according to the Trinity County Department of Transportation.
- “Zenia Bluffs Road between Alder Point and Zenia is CLOSED due to slide,” according to the Trinity County Department of Transportation. “Estimated time of reopening is greater than a week. Use Peak Road