[UPDATE 3:15 p.m.] Road and Weather for Sunday (Rain and Wind Coming)
The National Weather Service warns that strong winds are expected “along the coast and over the higher elevations of the Humboldt, Del Norte and Mendocino counties.” After Midnight the wind is expected to increase. The Weather Services says, “Gusts up to 50 mph will be possible on highway 299 over Berry Summit.”
Expect the roads to continue to deteriorate with onslaught of a new storm. Below is what we know about specific problems on roads frequented by Emerald County Residents at this point. As more information comes in, we’ll update in blue.
- HWY 1: Closed in both direction just west of Leggett. (See here for more info.)
- Hwy 3: Open
- HWY 20: According to Caltrans, “If traveling on Hwy 20 …. today & tomorrow expect 3 hour delays due to flood damaged roadway repair work.”
- Hwy 36: Open
- Hwy 96:
- According to Caltrans, “SR 96 is reduced to one lane with traffic control at Cade Mountain (Siskiyou CO) due to a slip-out. Motorists should expect delay. Conditions subject to change.”
- Hwy 101: Open (Traffic delays of about 20 minutes on 101 north of Weott.)
- Hwy 169: Open (One lane blocked.)
- Hwy 199: Open
- Hwy 211: Open (Check out the Fernbridge live cam)
- Hwy 254 (Avenue of the Giants):
- Closed from Holmes Flat to Barkdull Road.
- Hwy 255: Open
- Hwy 271: Open
- HWY 299: Mostly clear. However, the large slide at Big French Creek is still blocking east/west travel.
UPDATE Sunday 12:17 p.m. from Caltrans: “SR 299 OPEN local traffic only 4:30-6:30pm and 6:30pm to 5:30 am with 1 hr delays. Monday 5:30-7:30 am. Subject to change at any time.”
Humboldt County Roads:
Here’s what we know. As we learn details, we will add the information below.
- Alderpoint Road one lane at PM 30.33 and PM 34.79 and around mile marker 18.25.
- Benbow Drive Close
- Briceland Thorn Rd PM 3.27 – one way traffic with bridge and signal
- Cannibal Island Road-Closed from Cock Robin to Crab Park
- China Creek missing a chunk but still passable.
- Coffee Creek Rd. Closed
- East Branch Road in Benbow one way controlled traffic at 2.7 mm.
- Eel River Drive closed at mile marker 1.
- Eel Rock Rd. – 1 Lane controlled traffic at PM 2.7
- Fullmore Road closed
- Hidden Court closed
- Howard Heights Road flooded
- Jack Shaw Road closed at PM 1.3
- Kings Peak Road closed at mile marker 7
- Landergen Road closed
- Lower Cappell Rd. at PM 1.49 open but road is soft and motorist must proceed with caution. Subject to closure at any time.
- Mattole Rd One-way control at mm 5.0
- Meridian between Port Kenyon and Centerville Closed
- Mosswood Lane closed
- Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway closed after large falling tree put a hole in the road. No estimated time of reopening. (See here for more information.)
- Nunnemaker Rd at Eel Rock Rd. Closed- Slide/Slipout
- Old Arcata Road/ Jacoby Creek Road closed due to flooding. (See here for more information.)
- Port Kenyon closed
- Salmon Creek Road closed at 0.56mm detour 101 or Maple Hills Road
- Shively Road 1 lane controlled traffic at 3.56mm, 7.00mm
- Stagecoach Rd. – PM 1.00 Closed
- Wilder Ridge Road closed at Landergen Road indefinitely no alternate route.
Trinity County Roads:
- “Zenia Bluffs Road between Alder Point and Zenia is CLOSED due to slide,” According to Trinity County Department of Transportation. “Estimated time of reopening is greater than a week. Use Peak Road.”