[UPDATE 10:03 p.m.] What to Expect on the Roads and in the Weather This Wet Friday
Radar of scatter showers moving over the region this morning. [Video from the National Weather Service in Sacramento]
Rain is expected today with showers through the weekend.
The roadways of the Emerald Counties are still battered. If driving on this President’s Holiday weekend, be prepared for slides and debris in the road. Below is what we know about specific problems at this point. As more information comes in, we’ll update in blue.
- HWY 1: Closed in both direction just west of Leggett. (See here for more info.)
- Hwy 3: Open
- HWY 20: Closed due to flooding. (See more here.)
- Hwy 36: Open
- Hwy 96:
- According to Caltrans, “SR 96 is reduced to one lane with traffic control at Cade Mountain (Siskiyou CO) due to a slip-out. Motorists should expect delay. Conditions subject to change.”
- Hwy 96 closed then reopened and now closed again at mile marker 7.5. due to slide. Unknown when it will reopen.
- Hwy 101: Open
- Hwy 169: One lane closed about mile marker 2.4 (Check here for the latest.)
- Hwy 199: Open
- Hwy 211: Open (Check out the Fernbridge live cam)
- Hwy 254 (Avenue of the Giants):
- Closed from Holmes Flat to Barkdull Road.
- Closed due to tree fall just north of Myers Flat (See here for more information.)
- Hwy 255: Open
- Hwy 271: Open
- HWY 299: Mostly clear. However, the large slide at Big French Creek is still blocking east/west travel. Here’s the schedule from Caltrans:
…plan is to keep the road OPEN daily, starting on Sunday, Feb 12, 2017, through Wednesday, Feb 15, as follows:
5:30 am – 7:30 am OPEN
4:30 pm – 6:30 pm OPEN
6:30 pm overnight to 5:30 am OPEN
Please remember: RAIN changes the plan. UPDATE Friday: Caltrans says, “SR 299 is open this afternoon: 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm – If anything changes because of current weather conditions, we’ll let you know.”
Humboldt County Roads:
Here’s what we know. As we learn details, we will add the information below.
- Alderpoint Road one lane at PM 30.33 and PM 34.79 and around mile marker 18.25.
- Benbow Drive Close
- Briceland Thorne Rd PM 3.27 – one way traffic with bridge and signal
- Cannibal Island Road-Closed from Cock Robin to Crab Park
- China Creek missing a chunk but still passable.
- Coffee Creek Rd. Closed
- East Branch Road in Benbow one way controlled traffic at 2.7 mm.
- Eel River Drive closed at mile marker 1.
- Eel Rock Rd. – 1 Lane controlled traffic at PM 2.7
- Fullmore Road closed
- Hidden Court closed
- Howard Heights Road flooded
- Jack Shaw Road closed at PM 1.3
- Kings Peak Road closed at mile marker 7
- Landergen Road closed
- Lower Cappell Rd. at PM 1.49 open but road is soft and motorist must proceed with caution. Subject to closure at any time.
- Mattole Rd One-way control at mm 5.0
- Meridian between Port Kenyon and Centerville Closed
- Mosswood Lane closed
- Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway closed after large falling tree put a hole in the road. No estimated time of reopening. (See here for more information.)
- Nunnemaker Rd at Eel Rock Rd. Closed- Slide/Slipout
- Port Kenyon closed
- Salmon Creek Road closed at 0.56mm detour 101 or Maple Hills Road
- Shively Road 1 lane controlled traffic at 3.56mm, 7.00mm
- Stagecoach Rd. – PM 1.00 Closed
- Wilder Ridge Road closed at Landergen Road indefinitely no alternate route.
Mendocino County Roads:
The Mendocino Voice has information here: