Father and Brother of Victim of Fortuna Hit and Run Drop Claim Against City, etc.
Joe and Jevin Kitchen, father and brother of Kiya Kitchen, the 14-year-old girl who along with her friend, were killed in a hit and run accident in July, are dismissing their claims against several government agencies, according to Zachary Zwerdling, attorney for the two.
“In regards to claims against government agencies for the condition of Eel River Drive, Joe and Jevin Kitchen have decided to dismiss these claims on Tuesday, the 17th,” Zwerdling explained. “They are going to limit efforts to holding responsible the one person who is charged with committing this offense.”
Joe and Jevin Kitchen’s claim that they are now withdrawing followed one submitted on January 6 by Marci Kitchen. Marci Kitchen is the alleged driver of the vehicle that struck the two girls and her claim sparked a firestorm of protest at online news sites such as this one.
Yesterday, Zwerdling said he was the one who decided to file the claim because, “[w]e anticipated that Griego and Okin [Marci Kitchen’s attorneys] would do that. It’s common in cases like this. We did this to protect Joe and Jevin’s rights.”
Now, at the request of his client, Joe Kitchen, he plans to withdraw the claims as soon as he can which will be on Tuesday (Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. Day.)
However, Zwerdling warned, “In the event that Marci Kitchen on her own receives any money from public entities for what she allegedly has done, Joe and Jevin will take appropriate legal steps to prevent her from getting any compensation.”
Zwerdling stated that his clients do not want Kiya’s mother to receive any financial recompense that might result from her claim against various government agencies in regard to the condition of Eel River Drive.
“Ms. Kitchen should not benefit financially from what she is alleged to have done,” he said.
Links to earlier stories:
- Hit and Run: Child Injured in Fortuna
- Two Teenage Girls Killed by Hit and Run Driver
- Witness May Have Seen Vehicle Fleeing Last Night’s Fatal Hit and Run
- Vehicle Involved in Hit and Run Death of Teens Found Near Home of Mother of One of the Teens
- CHP Confirms They’ve Recovered Vehicle Involved in Fatal Hit and Run at One of the Victim’s Residences
- Driver of Vehicle in Tuesday’s Hit and Run Has Contacted Law Enforcement
- A Candlelight Vigil for the Two Young Girls Tragically Killed in a Hit and Run Accident
- Grief Counseling Offered at Fortuna Middle School
- Good Progress’ Learning About Death of Fortuna Teens, Says CHP Spokesperson
- 911 Call Reporting the Hit and Run Which Left Two Girls Dead Last Week; Warning, This Is Graphic Audio
- CHP Asks For Help Finding Two Suspected in Hit and Run Deaths of Two Teenagers
- Suspect’s Attorneys Refute CHP’s Press Release
- Kiya Suzanne Kitchen: Full of Life and Love
- Friends Rally Round Joe Kitchen Whose Daughter Died in Fortuna Hit and Run Accident
- Marci Kitchen Arrested and Made Bail
- Sheriff’s Office Releases Booking Photo and Charges Against Marci Kitchen
- Woman Accused of Killing Her Daughter and Her Daughter’s Friend in DUI Collision Files Claim Against Fortuna for Damages