[UPDATE 4:31 p.m.] Roads and Weather Sunday
The storm is causing major problems in the Santa Rosa area with people being rescued from vehicles on Hwy 101 northbound at Windsor (see video below.) So far the Emerald Counties are experiencing something more like a normal, heavy winter rain with the expected side effects of downed trees and slides.
The National Weather Service predicts high winds and heavy rains at times today across most of our area.The National Weather Service predicts high winds and heavy rains at times today across most of our area. Expect ponding on roadways, small stream flooding, and slides. The Eel River could rise to flood stage early Monday at Ferndale, they say.
(NOTE: UPDATES are in green)
HWY 1: Caltrans reports this is closed about 1.5 miles west of U.S. Highway 101 in Mendocino County is closed due to an active slide. It is not known how long it will remain closed.” [UPDATED 4:31 p.m.}
Hwy 3: Scott Mtn Roadway is clear of snow and open at Scott Mtn, 20 mi north of Trinity Center to 3 mi south of Callahan.
Hwy 36: Clear
Hwy 96: Beginning two miles east of Happy Camp, chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel or all wheel drive vehicles.
Hwy 101: Currently mostly clear.
Hwy 199: Mostly clear. No chains required.
Hwy 254: Avenue of the Giants also known as Hwy 254 has multiple trees and power lines down. Here’s what we know.
- Large tree blocking road just south of Burlington Visitor Center near Weott. CLEARED: Road Open as of 1:55 P.M.
- The Avenue is “closed just south of Barkdull Rd due to flooding,” according to Caltrans. There is no estimated time of reopening.
HWY 299: Mostly clear. However, the large slide at Big French Creek is still blocking east/west travel. UPDATE 11:20 a.m.: Caltrans says, “Route 299 has been closed by a slide at the Humboldt/Trinity County line. Crews estimate they’ll be able to reopen it sometime early this afternoon.”
Humboldt County Roads:
As yet we do not have a clear picture of county roads. As we learn them we will add the information below.
- Blue Slide Road (Tree in Road blocking both lanes as of 8 a.m.)
- Briceland Thorn: Multiple power lines down. Please avoid driving this if possible. (10:46 a.m.)
- Coffee Creek Road, Closed due to flooding
- Dyerville Loop Rd, (Tree into power line at mile marker 4.08)
- Ettersburg Rd-(Cleared as of 1:17 p.m.! Yay, county roads!)
- Evergreen Road: Slide cleared but still coming (11:25 a.m. between Garberville and Redway)
- Freshwater Road (Traffic collision dropped a power pole across the the westbound lane about 1:30 a.m.)
- Maple Creek Road at slide- 1 lane traffic open
- McCann Ferry is not operating
- Redwood Drive currently closed as of 2:22 p.m. (Be alert for closures throughout this storm, however.
- Salmon Creek Road (Right after Maple Hills Road bridge) Tree down into power lines. (Road now clear. Thanks, VFD!)
- Sprowel Creek Rd closed approx. 1 mile from Garberville (Flooded)
- Table Bluff Rd at Clough Road. Cleared
- Tompkins Hill Road: Cleared
UPDATE 12:18 p.m.: Ferndale Fire states, “Ferndale has sand bags available at the rabbit barn at the fairgrounds.”