Sean Blackmon: From Crime to Conviction to Life in Prison


Sean Blackmon arrested. [Photo by Oliver Cory]

Yesterday, a man was sentenced to life in prison. The story was a rare case where we get to cover an incident from crime to conviction to sentencing.

On August 14, 2015, we scrambled to the respond to the report of an armed home invasion. Oliver Cory, our photographer at the time, reached the scene as officers were putting the suspect, Sean Blackmon, into the vehicle and managing to catch the intriguing image above.

The District Attorney’s office described the crime this way:

The two victims came home from lunch and found Mr. Blackmon burglarizing their home. Using a shotgun belonging to one of the victims, Mr. Blackmon directed both men around the house and in through the back door. He proceeded to separate them and tie them up in different rooms using rope and a phone charging cable. While they were tied up, Mr. Blackmon continued to rummage through the house.

The victims were able to free themselves and escape unharmed. As they fled the residence, they flagged down a driver on Buhne Street, who called the police. The police responded just as Mr. Blackmon was stealing a car belonging to the victims. He then led the police on a high-speed chase through Eureka which ended when he crashed into a brick wall near the intersection of Everding and S streets, and was detained by the Eureka Police a few minutes later.

In September, Blackmon was convicted. The DA’s Office put out a press release stating that he was found guilty on…

…two counts of kidnapping to commit robbery, two counts of robbery, two counts of assault with a firearm, one count of burglary, and one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm. The jury also found true the special allegation that he personally used a firearm.

Then yesterday, he was sentenced. Here is the press release from the District Attorney’s Office:

On September 30, 2016, a Humboldt County jury found 42-year-old Sean Blackmon guilty of: kidnapping to commit robbery (2 counts), robbery (2 counts), assault with a deadly weapon (2 counts), residential burglary and felon in possession of a firearm. On December 16, 2016, Judge Timothy Cissna sentenced Blackmon to both 32 years and life in prison. Mr. Blackmon must serve 51 years before he will be eligible for parole.

Earlier Chapter:



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *