Hawaiian Baby Woodrose Sends Four High School Students to the Emergency Room
Today, at least four Eureka High School students overdosed on Hawaiian baby
rosewood woodrose, an ornamental plant that has hallucinogenic properties. Four students ended up in the emergency room. “Some kid bought this Hawaiian baby woodrose over the internet, sold and gave them to his friends,” explained Chief Andrew Mills of the Eureka Police Department. “Up to 15 [students] ingested it. Four wound up in the emergency room…The medics took some kids and other kids arrived by private car.”
According to Mills, “Others called the hospital asking what to do. The kids are expected to recover…I spoke to all the kids personally. They all looked fine. They were concerned, scared.”
Mills said that his department and Eureka High School are conducting an investigation. “We’ve identified who it was who had them,” Mills said. “My understanding the kid bought something like 500 [doses]. I saw the pack that was left. It was about 100.”
However, Jennifer Johnson, the principal of EHS, explained, “It wasn’t really like there was 500 on campus today.” She feels that the student responsible had already removed some before the pack was brought to campus. “Less than a dozen [students] were involved. But not that number that ingested. Some just did one. [Others] ingested five to six.”
Hawaiian Rosewood, she said, can be purchased over the internet.
Chief Mills said that it isn’t clear at this point whether there were any laws broken. “It may not be a scheduled narcotic,” he said.
However, Johnson said, “We have our consequences from the school–suspension…a menu of options.”
About 10:45 a.m., the first student showed up in the office complaining of nausea. Eventually, the staff learned what occurred. Students experienced vomiting and hallucinogenic reactions.
Staff began attempting to learn what had happened. “We were interviewing all the kids,” Johnson explained. “The reality was the same names came up…I feel like kids were willing to give us information and seemed concerned….The students realized this was serious. ”
“We sent an autodialer out to parents and staff informing them what it was,” Johnson said.
Chief Mills explained, “We’re working hand in hand with the school to make sure that all the kids are safe and make sure that this kind of thing is stopped. There is high level of cooperation between students, the school and us.”
Johnson said that staff has spoken to the students, “We want to provide the correct information.” She says that they’ve informed students, “If they do see anything that looks suspicious, let staff know…Don’t eat things you don’t know what they are.”
Johnson said she believes that the students are safe. “We’re pretty confident that we have what was here on campus,” she said.